Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stanley Clarke's FAST Slap Runs

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Sep 30, 2005.

1. I was listening to School Days this morning and was wondering, on the song "Hot Fun", how the hell does he do those lightning fast slap lines? It sounds like he's only hitting 2 or 3 notes, but with the alternation of slapping and hammering (??) it sounds insane. Anyone know what he's doing?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Various combinations of-

Thumb-LH Slap-Thumb-Pop w/ Open Hammer Plucks...played Jack-Rabbit fast?

3. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    I couldn't tell you about that specific example, as I gave my
    "school days" cd to a freind a few months ago (need to pick up another copy). But lot of those passages where Stanley sounds like he's playing slap I've heard that he's actually playing fingerstyle very hard and close to the fingerboard.

4. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    i'm 99.9% sure he dosent slap in that song. His Alembic and his playing style sounds very much like he's poping all of his attacks, but i believe its just his finger playing style

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The song is 50% slap and 50% fingerstyle. The slap in that song isnt' really that fast.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've seen Stanley play "Hot Fun" live, and he does indeed slap it. He did another version on the Modern Man album called "More Hot Fun" that is half fingerstyle, but the original version is slapped.

7. I'm talking about the line he starts playing at 15 seconds, right after the intro. It sure as hell sounds like slap to me, maybe a little muted. It doen't sound THAT fast, but whatever he's doing with his left hand is totally throwing me off.

8. It's mostly finger attack, not slapping.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It absolutely is slapping. I've seen him play it live!