1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stanley Clarke's Tone

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Stickk, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    I'm looking for a passive pickup(s) that will give me the crystalline-like tone of Stanley Clarke. Any suggestions?

2. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    To me Stanley's tone is active alembic all the way. If there is a passive equivalent I would be surprised. But I'm sure others will chime in.
    Great tone choice to chase after in any case, I always enjoyed his sound and playing. :)
    Good luck,
    Dirk

3. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    Bump.

4. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    I have also. I also love his basses (especially the ones with Cocobolo laminate tops).

5. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    A really solid and stable bass with a massive bridge is part of the equation. But the Alembic electronics (especially the high frequency information NOT lost by capacitance and loading of regular passive electronics) is also a big part of the sound. I would think that there's simply not a passive arrangement that'll really do it.

jte

6. I think ya might get away with Q-tuner pickups, but that's probably about it. This would probably require routing.

7. It is, Always has been. The only thing that comes close IMO is EMG's.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  8. Maybe Villex?

I had a conversation with Jauqo III X last week about pickups and he mentioned these for that very reason - that they sound 'active' but are not.

9. tomsewell

tomsewell

Feb 21, 2009
    Tupelo, MS
    Those Villex sound awesome from the sound clips. Excellent range and definition.

10. The look cool too. I was considering them for my current build - but I just don't have the budget.

Next build - OR if I decide to upgrade this one I am going to think very seriously about Villex. I really like the idea of passive pickups mostly because I don't want to deal with batteries. Call me lazy.

But to get some passive pickups that have that kind of life to 'em... It's probably worth the $$$.

Credit our fellow TB'er Jauqo III X for that find!

11. tomsewell

tomsewell

Feb 21, 2009
    Tupelo, MS
    I bookmarked the site for future reference. $238 for a pair of J humbuckers is a bit steep, but could be worth it in the right upgrade situation.

12. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
  13. There's where my lack of knowledge starts to show. I honestly don't know if there is a difference between pickups on a bass with active electronics and one without... But I guess the idea of "active pickups" is a misnomer... It's active electronics.

The Villex site even states, "...passive pickup system..." implying the pickups still impart a very "active electronics sounds" without requiring active electronics.

Sorry for the confusion.

14. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    It depends on WHERE the pre-amp is located. My Guild Pilot with EMG's active PUPs have the preamp inside the PUP housing, so those are active PUPs feeding a passive circuit. My Laklands with the Barts have the preamp inside the control cavity and the PUPs themselves are passive (that's why it's got an active/passive opion)- those are passive PUPs feeding an active circuit. And I had a great Guild Pilot Pro that had EMGs with a preamp inside the cavity so that was active PUPs feeding an active circuit.

I think the Alembic PUPs are active because all the history I've read from Rick Turner and Mr. Wickersham talked about the signal loss they measured on Jack Cassady's Guils Starfire (with the Hagstrom PUPs). They said they found an audible loss even if the leads from the PUPs to the first amplifier stage was only a few inches. So they decided to put the first amplification stage in the PUPs.

I don't really know for sure what Alembic's doing now however...

jte

15. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

Alembic bass pickups are passive. The bass Stanley plays is a small bodied Series I. The eq is a filter based system. The only way I was able to get his tones....I bought a Series II. As Mica form Alembic puts it: "The only thing that can sound like a Series I, is a Series II. But nothing can sound like a Series II." My Alembic sounds like....well, an Alembic. I can't get P bass, no J bass and definitely not Sting Rays out of it. Just pure Alembic.

jazzyvee likes this.
  16. JTE - thanks for the primer!
    I didn't know that I didn't know that!
    Now I know that I didn't know that and I can get to know that better, now...

:)

17. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    One of the things you can try to get close to his tone is getting an Alembic SF-2 Superfilter which is basically a series II in a rack with some extra features.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  18. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    [insert obligatory "Zombie thread!" comment here]

The SF-2's extra features that aren't available in Series II onboard electronics include: Selectable filter type (low pass, band pass, or high pass...Series II offers low pass only), and the ability to mix phase-locked unfiltered signal in parallel with the filters' outputs. Can you imagine if Alembic could build that into an onboard preamp? That would be a totally killer instrument!

19. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Bob_Ross likes this.
  20. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Drool