Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stanley Cup Finals: Game 7!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by incognito89x, Jun 8, 2003.

1. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    After a horrible game by the Ducks in game 5, and now a horrible game by the Devils in game 6, we're all set for the final game of the playoffs :D

The Ducks looked really good tonight, and I think have the momentum going into game 7. New Jersey has only lost once at home in the playoffs, so Anaheim sure has the odds against them.

Thoughts? Predictions? :)

I say...

Ducks: 2
    Devils: 1

Steve Thomas scores a heart-clenching goal in Overtime to have the Ducks become the first team other than Detroit, Colorado, New Jersey, or Dallas win the cup since 1994!

GO DUCKS!!!

2. Suburban_punk

Suburban_punk

May 13, 2003
    Denver
    My Man!!

DUCKS! DUCKS! DUCKS!
    (Since my Avs sucked)

Hey I'm a poet and don't know it.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    QUACK ATTACK!

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Gotta give props to Paul Kariya for getting knocked the fark out only to come back and score a goal.

I'd like to see Anaheim win as they are the underdog, but if I were a betting man I'd put my money on the Devils.

5. The Devils will win at home.

I'm no NJ fan but I consider engraving a team named "the Mighty Ducks" on the Stanley cup a form of sacrelige.... The people who decided to call an NHL team that should be shot.....:D

6. consider this sentence:

"And the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim win the Stanley Cup"

dont speak, just think about it.
    feel free to giggle a little.

-shoonk

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I bet Kariya is having one helluva hangover this morning.
    ...Scott Stevens plays it hard & a bit on the edge, eh?

If Jersey wins tomorrow, that means the HOME team would have won each game in the finals...how long has it been since that was accomplished?
    (It's been awhile, I think).

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

As much as I love Scott Stevens (the Washington Capitals got royally screwed by the league, being forced to give him to NJ), the Devils have been there enough lately. GO DUCKS!

Sucks that I missed Game 6 (crappy little gig).

9. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Go Avalanche!...........Oh wait, they are out.

Go Ducks!!!! Beat them Devils like the Av's did two years ago.

10. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I am not even a hockey fan and I have found watching the ducks during the post season kind of exciting...

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Whoa, Nellie-
    ...maybe I'm off my rocker, but-

IIRC, Stevens was with St. Louis when the NHL forced the Blues to give him to Jersey.
    The Blues snagged then-Devil Brendan Shanahan via fee agency with COMPENSATION. The league decided Stevens was the compensation; the Blues & their fans were quite a bit upset. I don't believe Shanahan, at the time, woulda been dealt for a Scott Stevens in a straight-up trade.

IIRC, Washington 'hadda' deal Stevens to the Blues 'cause he & a couple others were caught with underage gals in their limo.
    IIRC, all three players were dealt outta the Washington area.

12. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    JimK is right - Stevens was compensation to the Devils from the Blues.

Anyone else think that pretty much ALL of his checks could be called as charging penalties? :meh:

Go Ducks Go... I hate Disney, but you have to be cheering for Stumpy Thomas and Adam Oates right now!

13. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    go ducks, blah, blah, blah....

P@

14. Fuzzbass

No, I am off my rocker for listening to one of the ESPN analysts who claimed that Stevens never wanted to leave Washington (I'm sure he meant to say St. Louis.)

Now that I recall, Stevens asked to be traded from the Capitals after a woman claimed that Stevens and three teammates sexually assaulted her in a limo. I believe they were cleared of the assault charge, but Stevens was married at the time and the infidelity alone was enough to damage his rep.

15. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    How about deliberate attempt to injure?I'm all for hard-hitting,physical...fights etc.:but I think he looks for opportunities to injure,borderline legal or not...you don't go after somebody's head.

16. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    GO DUCKS!!!!

I was always pissed at the raw deal Oates got in Boston, Jeez it seems that all the Bruins great players and coaches (Pat Burns) have to go elsewhere to get to the cup finals.

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Damn, that name makes it hard for me to be a fan. It just makes the club seem like more of a slick movie-tie-in merchandising operation than a hockey team. When Tony Tavares (then-president of Anaheim Sports, the Disney division that ran the Angels and the Might Ducks) fired coach Ron Wilson after the team's previous high point in performance and respectability (in 1995, I think), it really reinforced that image.

Disney is trying to sell the team, but in that respect I think they may have shot themselves in the webbed foot a decade ago by choosing that name. What would a new owner do--keep a name that has absolutely no significance other than as a Disney property, or go through the trouble of changing to a new name?

Don't get me wrong--I'm excited that the local guys are playing the deciding game for the cup--but a Mighty Ducks jersey is the least likely one to ever be bought or worn by me. There are even a lot of AHL, college, and junior team sweaters I'd rather have.

18. Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals, you gotta love it. Only twice since 1939 has the home team won every game in the finals. Never has game 7 of the finals gone to overtime, so that is my hope. Imagine, "next goal wins the Stanley Cup".

I feel the same way as you guys about Anaheim. I like their team much more than NJ, but I find it very difficult to cheer for them because as a big hockey fan, I'd be embarassed to see the name MIGHTY DUCKS engraved on the Stanley Cup forever.

Anyone else surprised at what an interesting series it has turned out to be? The first 2 games were really boring and NJ won easily. I was convinced this series was going to be a joke, but then again Anaheim has proven me wrong in every series so far this year.

19. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I hope Disney sells the team and they get a more respectable name.

I know the name would be goofy on the cup, but those guys deserve to have their names on the cup, regardless of how goofy the team name is.

It's the big night tonight!

GO DUCKS!!!!!

20. Fuzzbass

If it goes to overtime, I don't care who wins. THAT is excitement!

Just one overtime session, please. :p