Stanley Kubrick

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lemonadeisgood, Jan 21, 2003.

1. lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Who else here shares a love for Stanley Kubrick movies? I myself love everything he's done. His movies are so unique.

My favorite would have to be Full Metal Jacket or Eyes Wide Shut.

Now it's your turn...
  2. Good call!

My own favorites are 2001 and The Shining. His use of wide open space shots in the shining are fantastic, really adding to the isolated theme of the movie.

2001 is a ground breaking epic, and in my mind has never been bettered.

A clockwork orange deserves a mention also, simply because it makes me feel uneasy when I see it. My God, it's full of nutcases! ;)
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    a clockwork orange is probably my favorite...just cause I've seen it more times than any other and I've read the full version of the book twice.

2001 is very good too.

I haven't ever seen eyes wide shut or full metal jacket so I can't comment. I'm not a kubrick nut...but I do like what I have seen.
  4. lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    I had my doubts about Eyes Wide Shut before going into it, but oh man. The party scenes are unreal, that's all I'm gonna say.
  5. Havent seen Eyes Wide Shut. Must sort that out.
  6. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    Spartacus!! not as artsy as his others, but brilliant nonetheless, as is dr. strangelove, a great flic.

clockwork takes the cake imho though; you can stop the film almost anywhere and see a professionally taken photograph.
  7. Did he do Dr. Strangelove? For some reason I think he did...if he did then that's my definite fave Kubrick, with Full Metal Jacket next and then the Shining.

2001 was good and really captured the book very well, but I think you should read the book before seeing it, it will make more sense.
  8. clockwork's one of my favorite movies, and i love full metal jacket too.
    i really love the clockwork BOOK; it's better than the movie. anthony burgess was the man. i kinda wish i had gotten to read it before i ever saw the movie. oh well; they both rock.
  9. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    my rule w/ movies: the book is always better. clockwork included, and the same with the shining, not that either lacks anything as a film.

off topic: has anyone seen the shining tv series? i caught about the last 3 minutes the other night, but not enough to render judgment. i always heard stephen king wasn't pleased w/ the original film, i wonder if this was his idea....
  10. hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    Yeah, kubrick did dr. Strangelove, one of my all time favorites. I love everything he did with the exception of Barry Lyndon.
  11. i saw some of it. it looked a little cheesy. i didn't watch much.
  12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

All the way.

My favorite line...Keenan Winn: "all right Mister, I'll shoot the pop machine and get your money for you. But, if you don't get the President of the United States on the line, you have to the Coca Cola Company!"

Slim Pickens: "This is it boys! Toe to Toe Nuclear Combat with the Russkies!"
    and: "You wouldn't be human if you didn't have some pretty strong feelings about Nuclear Combat!"

Also James Earl Jones' first movie, I think.
    That Soundtrack. :cool:
  13. lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    My favorite soundtrack is in Eyes Wide Shut. Something about those 2 notes on the piano being played over and over again. Eerie.
  14. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah! I love that music!! I believe it's a classical piece that wasn't originally composed for the movie. I may be wrong.

I just re-watched Full Metal Jacket last week. I dig Kubrick too. There are so many absolutely beautiful shots in all of his movies. I felt like I didn't breathe for the duration of Eyes Wide Shut. It was so stunning. I'm normally pretty averse to movies with a lot of sexual content but I had to see Eyes Wide Shut just because it's Kubrick.

brad cook
  15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Love 'em all, but my fave is Dr. Strangelove. George C. Scott kills me! "I told you never to call me here!"

"You can't bring that Russky in here, he'll... he'll see the big board!"

Pres Merkin Muffley: "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the War Room!"

I love having "Fail Safe" / "Dr. Strangelove" doubleheaders.
  16. lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Aaahahahaha.. I love that one.
  17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Dr. Strangelove, Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb
  18. pigpen,floyd.....if your talkin about the new shining with the guy from the show wings(he played the screw up brother) and Rebecca Demornay...yes, it is a little cheesy....not really like the original..but,from what I understand it's supposedly closer to the book. I hav'nt read the book so I can't say. I can say that the new version can NOT hold it's own to the original...I mean,who's going to fill Jack Nicholson's shoes in that role???certainly not the dude from wings......all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy..all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy...all work and no play makes Jack a dull get the idea
  19. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i have to put in a vote for LOLITA!!!!!

not often you get the genious of Peter Sellers and Kubrick in one sitting.

and for 1959...LANDMARK FILM.

i saw clockwork orange when it first came out...on white ousely (sp?) no less.

ok, ok, it was 1971!

THEN, i read the book by Anthony Burgess...i felt like i was watching the movie all over again.

one of the few movies where i though it and the book were in perfect LOCKSTEP!

thank god for his gift to us in Kubrick!

20. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I didn't get Clockwork Orange at all. Well, I didn't even see all of it, really. They showed it on UK television for the first time a few months ago, and it was billed as this masterpiece... I watched maybe 45 mins of it and just gave up. It just seemed to be this surreal thing about a bunch of guys going around beating the crap out of people. And then the lead guy gets put in jail... then I switched off.

Obviously I missed the genius of it, completely. Or did something special happen after I turned off?