1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Star Gound Question for 62 Jazz Wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by johns46140, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Hello:

I am new to bass wiring and I was hoping that some one could answer a question for me... I completed the wiring for a '62 Concentric Stacked pot setup but now I have some hum that I would like to get rid of by doing a star ground. Note: the cavity is already copper shielded so I was hoping that I would not get hum but that is not the case.

My plan is to bring all of the ground wires to the ground side of the input jack or to a ground lug that will be installed in the body cavity. I am wondering what to do with the capacitors that are soldered back to the pots. Is it ok to leave the capacitors soldered to the pots? Or should I solder all ground connections including the capacitors back a ground lug so that nothing is soldered to the pots?

I attached the 62 Jazz bass wiring diagram for reference.

Thanks for the help

Attached Files:

2. Do a search on star grounding...

I would just leave the bass the way it is.
    Star grounding is all a load of crap, because you cannot get ground loops in a circuit with only one ground.

3. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    You should have no hum really... make sure that all the cavities are grounded and connected, and make sure the control plate is grounded to the cavity as well (copper tape going from the cavity bottom up to the top of the cavity and over the lip.)

You don't need to overdo it on the grounding but the control plate, the main cavity, and both pickup cavities, and the bridge ALL need to be interconnected. That will clear out 99% of your noise.

The star grounding will not do anything as noted.

The biggest problem I see is control plates not being grounded.

4. What i do is tie the grounds from the pickup cavities and bridge to a point in the main cavity, where i have another wire going to the back of the pot.

If you only connect the control plate to the shielding by having a little overlapping piece at the top of the cavity, you are going to have problems if you ever need to use the bass without the control plate mounted. For example, if you need to test out your wiring by plugging in the bass and playing before you screw down the plate.

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    +1

It's a lot of FUD.

Even if it made sense to do star grounding in a bass, you can't because all the controls are mounted on the metal control plate, which is a ground plane.

That's why leo put them on a metal plate... to keep them all on the same ground plane. You want a path of least resistance for grounds, and shields too. Just connect the shield to any ground.

Star grounding is only of use in amplifiers.

6. You hit the nail on the head troyus. Once I made sure that all of the cavities were grounded together my noise went away.

Thanks for the Help!!!!

7. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    Awesome, glad to help. :bassist: