Star Grounding/Shielding Questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by OmegaZ27, Feb 18, 2006.

1. OmegaZ27

Sep 18, 2005
    I figure my Heartfield Prophecy has star grounding because I see that all the ground leads (black wires) are all grounded to the back of my blend pot.

1. If I was going to shield the control cavity and the control cavity plate, is it all right if I moved the ground point from the pot to a point on the shielded cavity? I may have to do some wiring mods because I have at least 7 wires connected to the pot.

2. If I'm going to shield the cavity, would it also be any more effective if I shielded the pickup cavities (which I hear is a real pain to do)? If I did, how would I ground that?
  2. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    A star ground does not have to be on a pot. I have seen people put screw lugs in the control cavity and take every wire to lug.

Shielding under and around the pickups can improve the noisiest of situations. You could use copper tape and solder a wire to the copper tape and sent it thru the wire route. Or you could use some of the plates like they had in the early J basses that have a wire soldered two them.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I think all you'd need to do is run one MORE wire from that pot point, with a round-flat-tab connector [​IMG] at the free end, and position that tab at one of the screw holes between the shielding and the plate.