Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mellowinman, Aug 4, 2022.

1. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Let's start with this review by Tarek Ali:

A different kind of Trek show, the one I have been waiting for during this remarkable renaissance period in the Trekverse. Strange New Worlds is far less frenetic and frenzied than Discovery - there is far more introspection and character development, and far fewer oozy, bubbly moments of feel-good vapid emoting -snip-

I started watch and imagined Gorn groaning beside me as they showed Spock about to have sex, and frankly, I didn't like what I thought I was going to see. I soon turned and did a mighty about face with this show and here's why:

It's a pretty good show!

But my opinion on all things star trek doesn't matter; ultimately there are better critics than me.

JRA and viribus like this.
  2. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    I like Strange New Worlds a *lot*. :)

Stephen Russell and mellowinman like this.
  3. Swipter

Swipter

Sep 7, 2009
    Phoenix
    I like the show ALOT better than Discovery. Discovery veered in to areas you think would had been solved, accepted, etc., for two shows and that was it for me.

mellowinman likes this.
  4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I don't hate it with the raging fire of a thousand suns the way I hate Discovery and Picard, but it has its flaws. I hate the way that actor plays Spock. The Enterprise looks like 100 people all had creative input and all 100 opinions were implemented. There's more wrong with it than that but it's not awful. I'll watch season 2.

mellowinman likes this.
  5. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    We watched it, I liked it. We'll be watching next season.

mellowinman likes this.
  6. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Well it comforts no end that you weighed in. I felt like was watching the first episode with you.

7. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    This is fast becoming my favorite Star Trek show in a long time, and it's largely due to Anson Mount's portrayal of Captain Pike.

mapleglo and viribus like this.
  8. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well

9. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    The problem, as I see is that Leonard Nimoy was a unique actor. I haven't enjoyed anyone's portrayal of the character thus far. How would YOU portray him?

10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I wouldn't. There's no need to. The weakest part of this show is that it's called Star Trek. If they wanted to make a space adventure show featuring an emotionally suppressed character, they could have. Calling it Star Trek and making that little boy with a deep voice Spock doesn't add anything.

mellowinman likes this.