Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Star Wars Ep IV, V, and VI - Trilogy DVD

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Transverz, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Can you say, HOLY CRAP?!

I might be a bit late on this, but I finally watched Eps IV, V, and VI this past week after purchasing the Trilogy DVD on a whim and IT ROCKED MY SOCKS OFF! :bassist:

Background: I never was a SW fan. I watched IV, V, and VI on tv whenever they came on but I was hardly paying attention and remembered almost nothing except for little tidbits here and there. So basically, I was watching them for the first time! WOWEE WOW WOW! :hyper:

Ep IV is a bit slow, but great for storyline. Especially after just having watched Ep III. Then Part V is CRA-ZY! And part VI was the greatest ever. Man...those final scenes in the movie was unbelievable! Talk about redemption! So damn cool!

And some may think it cheese, but the little additions the Trilogy DVD added I thought were cool. Especially at the end of Ep VI hehe. Made me wanna cry! :crying:

So umm, yeah. Please accept my membership into the SW Geek Club. I shall pay my retro-active membership dues through PayPal...of course.

Just...WOW!

-T

2. Yeah, say what you will about the additions, I don't mind many of them really, but to finally have such a clean (looks like it was shot yesterday) print of it on DVD, with an absolutely rockin 5.1 mix...Im in heaven. Never had I been so happy to have the trilogy on this medium.

I'm glad that the minority of the work added was on Empire Strikes Back (the new Emperor scene looked good, but the dialog change was a bit *convenient*), as I felt that that movie holds up entirely in orginal form. There were some additions to #4 that were great (Like the Falcon take off from Tatooine, and the additions to the end dogfight sequences) but some were distracting (like most additions to the Tatooine passages when the landspeeder cruises thru town) but all in all not horrible.

And the ROTJ additions were good, and I understand *why* Sebastian Shaw was substituted at the end with Hayden C, but I still kinda feel it's out of place.

Ron

3. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    After you register, your lightsaber will be in the mail shortly. Don't forget to specify color! ;)

I'm more the purist...have the original trilogy in letterbox on VHS without the new digital scenes. Some of the new scenes/effects I like, but others (the Han stuff with Greedo and Jabba) drive me nuts.

I know what you mean about ROTJ...everyone complains about the Ewoks (which is reasonable), but the ending scenes between Luke, Darth, and Palpatine are still my favorites out of all movies.

Marshall

4. I too have the original original trilogy on VHS (and I transferred them to DVD) as well as VCD copies of the Special Editions that I'd had for a few years now...but none this pristine, or as good sounding.

I'm totally a purist, but can get past the changes for the want of the positives.

5. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I should do that. I'm such a geek, I wouldn't mind having both versions.

Marshall

6. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    if you you buy the box set it come with all six right because trilogy normally means three right?

7. Um...no. Episode 3 is still in theaters and won't be on DVD for about 9 months or so. For the record, I intend to pay it the same respect I did the other two and not pay any money to watch it.

Mike

8. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    so the box set is only 4 5 6 ?

9. Yes...as evidenced by this statement (my bolding):

Mike

10. The biggest surprise that you missed out on was finding out that Darth Vader was Luke's dad. Since you Episode 3 first, you already knew, but to alot of us who saw it before the new ones came out, it was a huge shocker!! Those movies will always be the greatest in my book.

I kinda hope they redo 4, 5, and 6 again with the new special effects. That would be awesome, but wouldn't break my heart if they didn't. They still rock!!

11. Exactly

12. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    True, not seeing Ep V originally in theatres did ruin the surprise of Vader being Luke's pop. But hey, how could I avoid it? I already knew most of the storyline without even wanting to know the storyline! Damn pop culture. But it doesn't matter. I'm totally loving all the side stories and relationships. I will be doing some additional reading to address lots of questions and curiousities. Any suggestions?

4, 5, and 6 were slightly redone in the Trilogy DVD set.

-T

13. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yes sir! I want this one, please! Expedited shipping, of course...

[​IMG]

WOOHOO!

(I really do want to get one, btw...but I can't decide. Anakin Ep III or Vader Ep V? Tough decision. I'm leaning towards Vader Ep V. The Windu Ep II one looks most impressive though. Hmm...)

-T

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I like the switch they did there. I think he's a much better looking Darth Vader than Sebastian Shaw could ever had hoped to make. In short, Hayden's got the look, Sebastion doesn't.

15. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I like the switch they did there. I think he's a much better looking Darth Vader than Sebastian Shaw could ever had hoped to make. In short, Hayden's got the look, Sebastion doesn't.

16. I don't know, the Darth Maul one is pretty cool. As long as you don't chop your own arm off!!
    [​IMG]

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I, too, just bought the Trlogy box(I am not a SW geek, either).
    Anyway, put me down for an "I don't like it" for the Han/Jabba add-on in Epi IV...I haven't gone thorugh the other 2 episodes yet...though I just hadda check out Epi VI's celebration scene with the younger Anakin dubbed in.

FWIW, Epi IV was even cornier than I remembered(like I said, I am not a SW-geek).

18. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I'm waiting for them to release all six in a box set. Then I will watch them all from beginning to end in a great celebration of the unending awesomeness which is Star Wars.

19. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hmm, I thought it was pretty cool going home after the movies from watching III and seeing IV.

I must admit though, i'm only 17 and havn't seen the first versions. I remember going and seeing the new digitally remastered ones in cimema's years ago though. They're pretty cool movies.

Oh, and get Mace's sabre. I was so cut when Anakin killed him, that bastard :p

20. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Ah my young padiwan, much to learn have you. Anikan didn't kill Mace, Chancelor Palpatine did.