Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Aug 19, 2003.

1. I just got this game and I love it to death. Though I think you either have to be a huge star wars fan or a total rpg nut to appreciate it though. It's based on D&D 3rd edition rules (like Neverwinter Nights on PC) so if you're not that kinda guy you might want to pass up on it.

I'd love to give a full review, but I'm too busy playing it :D

Anyone else giving this game a go? If you're not a fan of either (star wars or hardcore rpgs) I suggest not heading out and buying it though. Me being an rpg fan and a casual SW fan, I coudln't pass it up.

This biggest draw to the game is that you don't do the actual fighting, you tell your character what to do and then he does it for you. But its all done in real-time, so its like a mix of Final Fantasy and Morrowind.

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I bought the game and have played it a little bit. I like it so far. I am a huge RPG AND Star Wars fan so you figure it would be perfect for me...honestly I don't think it's *fantastic* or anything so far but I do like it. The whole Star Wars atmosphere isn't quite there like I had hoped...It's sorta like reading a goofy fan fiction if you ask me. There is some dialogue and situations that REALLY take me out of the feeling that I am playing in the Star Wars universe but I won't go into details here. I just hope I get more into it as I get farther along. Overall though, it's good.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    We don't have an X-box, but my brother has been playing it on his friends' he says that it is reason enough to buy an x-box :eek:

4. my friend has it.

good game, no doubt about it, but it has a major flaw to me from what i heard it was going to be. it was supposed to be very nonlinear yet it turned out to be VERY linear, which i hate! i love games like morrowind because of the freedom. sure you make choices in this knights, but either way you always have a path YOU MUST follow. for instance, you make a choice and you cant proceed farther in the game until you do what that choice leads to, at which time you'll have another choice. gets kind of repitive to me its like its trying to be nonlinear, but isnt at all :meh:

i would say it would make an excellent rental.

5. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I've been waiting for this game to be released.
    And my x-box is broken :bawl:

Oh well more time for playing:bassist:

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I have it. Haven't played it much in the past two weeks (no time) but I like it.

When it started out, I was disappointed: I thought the dialogue and graphics were weak, and while multiple quests were active it did seem linear (stuck in just one planet: Taris). But once I became a Jedi and got to travel to different planets, that all changed... there were times like I felt I was a part of a new Star Wars movie (note that the last two SW releases have lowered the bar ;) ).

At this point I don't think KOTOR is linear: I can now travel between five different planets at will. I've been to three so far. The only reason I haven't been to more is that I figure I might as well take care of as much business as I can on one planet before moving on... hopefully there won't be too big a penalty (if any) for dilly-dallying on the main quest. :D

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    damn, you don't do the actual fighting? that sorta sucks imo. i love the fighting in jedi outcast.

8. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Yeah the Saber stuff in Jedi Outcast is fun. I just cheat and start with it from level 1 ;) Hopefully Jedi Knight 3 will be even better...

As far as KOTOR goes though, the fighting is still pretty cool because it *looks* really good and you can manage stuff in real time while the fighting is going on. It's really not bad at all

9. Yeah, it can be a real drag, but after a while you get used to it I guess. Especially when you start having the ability to do force powers. I love being able to pause the game, que up several different attacks and watch them rip whoever they're fighting to shreds.

If you're looking for action (which i will be once i finish the game), you gotta wait for Jedi Academy (the sequel to Jedi Outcast) coming out in a year or so. I believe in this game its almost entirely based around lightsabers, as opposed to doing alot of blaster action.

10. Fuzzbass

I'm sure an FPS with blasters and lightsabers would be amazingly cool, but I didn't expect it from KOTOR: as mentioned, it's designed as an RPG. The 3rd-person fight scenes are nicely done, especially when you see your Jedi deflecting blaster bolts back at the baddies... and the sound effects are perfect. I also love the option to pause the game and queue up actions for each character. That said, I do try to keep combat as real-time as possible, letting the friendly AI control my party-mates and entering actions on-the-fly for the main character.

11. Fuzzbass

I think I'm on the home stretch of KOTOR right now. Let me just say that George Lucas could take a lesson from the Bioware folks on how to write clever, intelligent dialog and storyline.

Don't get me wrong: you don't get this for the entire game... that's too much to expect considering you get a minimum of 40 hours of gameplay. But all of the important sequences are extremely well done, and many of the minor encounters are as well.

Voice acting is consistently excellent. I guess I shouldn't be surprised: my understanding is that the video game industry is bigger than movies and teevee in terms of gross revenue.

Finally: I'm playing the game following the light side, but apparently it's just as much fun to play on the dark side... and you can fall in between if you wish.

12. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well I am moving right along in the game and I have to say I really disagree about the good dialogue comment. I don't want to sound negative here, but there is some truly cruddy writing in this game. Me and my girlfriend tend to play these things together and during a certain scene she pretty much summed up the whole experience thus far: "Uh...is this Star Wars or what?" If the original star wars of the 70's and 80's had been like this, I think it we would only be seeing it on reruns of MST3K instead of new prequels in the theaters.

Now that could change if the game drastically changes in the last half, but there has just been so many examples of situations and dialogue that simply scream "fanfic" it's not even funny. You know those goofy stories that fans write that supposedly take place in the "Star Wars Universe" but instead sound like some 13 year old wrote it in biology (no knock on 13 year olds here). I've been a huge star wars fan since I was a really young child, and so far this game is totally unimpressive to me in the story department. The visuals, music and gameplay are pretty well done however.

You're right though, the voice acting is generally pretty good which is actually surprising for a video game. I can count the number of games with good voice acting, that I have played, on one hand.

BTW, I like your avatar Fuzzbass. Our cats show us that angle quite a bit.

13. Fuzzbass

I thought KOTOR started out very badly: not much to like on Taris. But I got really interested in it on reaching the Jedi Academy, and I've liked the major scenes since. I thought there was some very good writing in the Sith Academy sequence as well.

But you know, I'm actually comparing KOTOR with the recent two SW movies, not the first three. Obviously, I was really disappointed in the recent two: yeah, the FX are always top-notch, but with very few exceptions the acting and dialog and plot lines have been disappointing. Samuel L. Jackson slept through his part... maybe in "Episode III" he'll redeem himself by pulling out a Glock and turning Jar Jar into swiss cheese.

14. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I hate to break it to ya, but the acting and dialogue in the original three aren't that hot either. ;) Nostalgia can go a long way...

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oh, don't get me wrong, i'm all about the bioware rpg games - loved every one.

i guess i was just hoping for a 1st person rpg. i hear jedi outcast is going to have those elements.

16. Fuzzbass

I agree, but (aside for some annoyances such as the Ewoks) I thought the first three were entertaining nevertheless. IMO the recent two alternate between dull and painful with bits of coolness thrown in, and the coolness is mostly graphical (props to Liam Neeson and Chris Lee for notable acting performances).

But anyway: you're saying you think KOTOR is worse than any/all of the SW flicks? That's cool, we can agree to disagree here... again, I don't think KOTOR is that bad. :D

17. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Story wise for sure. I think its really goofy and not very "star wars like" at all. But I have fun actually playing it. The lightsaber fights are sweet heh heh.