Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Star Wars vs. Star Trek

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Chris J, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Alright guys, we don't need to argue over which is better. Everyone knows Star Wars is. The real debate is which is nerdier? Are Star Wars fans nerdier or are trekkies?

2. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    Hands down, ST is nerdier. I mean, atleast Star Wars was cool in the main stream during the 70's.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Trek, because you actually have to try to be a star wars nerd.

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Star Wars is much better, but Trekkies are much nerdier than Warsies.

5. SW is for wannabe geeks.

Leigh

6. Did anyone else see the episode of Undergrads where Gimpy and that other guy have a Quake 3 battle to decide which is better? Star Wars wins out for those who missed it.:D

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, Leigh nailed it.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep.

9. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    +2

10. Oh, I don't know...I think they've passed the "wannabe" stage and are cloak deep in the "aspiring to be so geeky as to be noticed by passers-by" stage.

Mike

11. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I am a HUGE fan of Fantasy... I live in reality, why would I want to watch a Drama?

Anyways, I am a HUGE Anime fan... HUGE, I have TONS of the stuff. Second to that I LOVE Star Wars... Now the movies arent that great and I dont like practically anything about it except the Lightsaber, and that the story will NEVER end, No matter how far they go back (Knigts of the Old Republic "KOTOR") They still make referances to "Ancient" things... Or they take place after a war and it makes me want to go further back in time and see it all, But you cant.

Other than that Star Wars sucks!

And Star Trek is WORSE, they use guns! Hell, Im a big FF fan too, I'd love to walk around with a HUGE freaking sword and spikey hair!

12. You don't really want an answer to that, do you?

Mike

13. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
  14. Awesome link. I have that one bookmarked from a previous thread. :D

15. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    thats the funny ****. If i were 6'5 @ 350# i would dress as the bully and punk everyone.

My .02 ST is way nerdier then SW.

Dont both use guns or "phasers = blaster" theres nothing nerdy about bringing a gun to a knife fight anyways!

16. On that note, http://www.mts.net/~arphaxad/chronosw.html
    I'd say that's a pretty good place to find out what happened regarding the Ancient things and then some.

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Star Wars/Lucas is a ripoff a both Dune/Herbert & Lord Of The Rings/Tolkien.
    I think you have answered your own question!
    What Josh said ST > SW.
    I mean, c'mon, Roddenberry had a vision.

;)

18. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Trekkies are to a level of "nerdi-ness" that can be pretty scary sometimes. They have an ST convention here in town once a year or something and the extent that those geeks go to....well it often passes the point of appreciation and leaps off of ole' Mt. Sad in my book. :p

(Star Wars rulz!!!) :bag:

19. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Apples and oranges.

A Star Wars fan is someone like me, who's seen all the films (the new ones maybe once or twice) and is happy with that.

A Star Trek fan is someone who likes to sit and watch it from time to time and is happy with that. Probably hasn't ever seen Enterprise or Voyager.

A Trekkie is someone who sits and ponders whether Armin Shimmerman's finest performance was as the Betazoid Gift Box, long before DS9 was ever thought about, and prides himself (or herself... there are female trekkies) on knowing that Majel Barret who played Lwaxana Troi has appeared in more episodes than any other actor. Oh, and they're called Trekkers.

There is a Star Wars counterpart to the Trekkie, and they tend to focus more on the merchandise than the films. They worry incessantly about whether the card on their 9-back vinyl cloaked jawa really can be classed as NM or whether it is only EX or even (heavens forbid) VG. Their dream is to own a blue Snaggletooth or a POTF (I) Yakface and could even live with it having been played with. They honestly think they're cooler than Trekkies because they're not so obsessive. Secretly they covet the potential Star Trek has to satisfy the Trekkie's obsession. They have to make do by inventing chronologies of the Ancient times and playing RPGs.

20. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    You speak the truth..... ;)