Stargate SG-1; does it get better with time?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by keyboardguy, Jul 9, 2019.

1. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    Hey all;
    Big Star Trek fan and wanted to try something else on Netflix/Amazon prime.

Tried the newer BattleStar Galactica but couldn't stand that very annoying doctor/ blonde woman thing going on.

SO..
    I've watched 4 episodes of of SG-1. So far, disappointing; sophomoric writing and storylines.

It seems to be written for 12 year olds. (xena warrior princess anyone?)

I like the main actors though.

Will this get better; or should I go back to my Star Treks?

Regards,

Mike

TOOL460002 likes this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I love SG1, Atlantis, and Universe. All three are fantastic shows. Does it get better? I'm not sure how to answer based on your opinion so far. It definitely gets different. It started on showtime and moved to the sci fi channel. The tone changed a bit. The budget changed a lot. I say keep going if you can. There's ten seasons, then five of Atlantis, then two of Universe. I love it all. The first season is definitely good. Builds up well. The first finale is great. There's a lot of world building and in show mythology. The characters will grow on you. I think the show really only starts go go down hill a bit during the last two seasons but they're still good. If you can stick with it then you have a lot of great sci fi to look forward to. If you like the main characters than you'll like the show. A lot of great character development.

DrMole, Eli_Kyiv, neurotictim and 4 others like this.
  3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    And give Galactica another shot. Number 6 and Baltar are wonderful. They'll grow on you too.

grinx, AaronMB, Boogiepop and 5 others like this.
  4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I also hated Six teasing Baltar ALL the time in BSG, dropped that FAST!
    The other stuff is good though, the stand-alone films & Caprica.
    Unfortunately Caprica was canceled at the end of season 1.

Hmm, not sure what to comment about SG-1. It does get better, but TBH I'm not sure when, LOL!
    If you're not getting into SG-1, try Stargate Atlantis. I think that show has better writing.

For SG-1, some of their 2-parters are great:
    The Lost City
    Reckoning
    Heroes
    New Order

You could also try watching the SG-1 movies, The Continuum, Ark of Truth, or maybe the original film would spark some interest.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Starting Atlantis without watching the first eight seasons of SG1 is an awful idea. Same for the two movies without watching all ten seasons. Not because you won't understand it but because the mythology is huge. The things that are interesting in Atlantis are interesting because of years of development. The original film was Roland Emmerich trash that happened to lead to three great TV shows. It barely has anything to do with it beyond a few names.

neurotictim, Jhengsman and viper4000 like this.
  6. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I enjoy the SG family.

Have you seen Farscape? Two really good seasons and then it got a bit strange.

Travelers is decent. Not spacey, but there is advanced technology.

edro, embellisher and Killed_by_Death like this.
  7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Same guys who made Stargate. Good but fell apart in the third and apparently final season.

charlie monroe likes this.
  8. Killed_by_Death

Browder & Black appeared in Farscape prior to being in SG-1:

MV5BOTI5NTE1YzYtMmM4Yi00OTg1LTk3NmUtM2ZkOWU4NWE5NjBkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzE0OTYyNTU@._V1_.jpg
    9654ba0d5a9184cb595ce123969ad009.jpg

edro, embellisher and charlie monroe like this.
  9. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Ha. Both of my suggestions had SG Bacon numbers of 1.

That’s hilarious

10. keyboardguy

May 11, 2005
    Thanks for your suggestions folks. I'll stick with it

"LIVE LONG AND" ... (oh, wrong show):wideyed:

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Yep, it took a binge watch starting right at the beginning for it to work for me, and ended up being quite possibly my favorite SF show on TV ever.

Just watched the last couple of SG-1 episodes tonight on Comet. I think I've caught most of the whole cycle three times now. Lots of great episodes and more than a few meh ones. I'm not so fond of the recap/recycle ones where they clearly didn't want to use up their budget with much new footage, but at the same time I get why they needed to do that occasionally.

12. Killed_by_Death

Here's how I watched SG-1 when I re-watched it, I drew up all the stats on the series in IMDb.com & then found the Average score for all the episodes, which rounded up to 8.0.
    So then I only watched episodes with a rating of 8 or higher.

However, I already knew the basic premise of what was going on from watching the entire series once before on SyFy.
    Only 8 episodes, out of 21, in the first season are 8 or higher.

13. keyboardguy

May 11, 2005
    Well, I finished season 1 and started season 2.

It's kinda growing on me, and the story lines are getting a little more meat to them.
    I remember Star Trek TNG; the first 10 episodes were so-so. Maybe Sci-Fi shows are
    a little bit like wine; they get better with age ;)

14. MynameisMe

MynameisMe Be kind. Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax, Florida
    It's one of my all thing favorite shows right next to Stargate Atlantis. There's lots of humor in the show and the writing is pretty thoughtful and good.
    Glad you have it more of a shot. The first season they were finding their way. It gets much better.

edro likes this.
  15. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The first two seasons of TNG were famously bad, though I love them. SG1 definitely evolves quite a bit. If I'm remembering right you're where the show will start to get into longer and deeper story lines. It's good stuff.

MynameisMe likes this.
  16. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    Considering when the original SG movie and tv show started, the science they use as the backdrop is spot-on. A lot of the concepts they used were kind of considered fringe science, but over time actually came pretty close to our current understanding. Loved the Asgard plots.

The only thing I didn't like is that everyone could speak English. Other sci-fi series cover this with translator microbes (Farscape and others) or other tech. SG just glosses right over it for the most part.

MynameisMe likes this.
  17. MynameisMe

MynameisMe Be kind. Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax, Florida
    Yeah I noticed that too.
    It's still a fun show.

viper4000 likes this.
  18. keyboardguy

May 11, 2005
    UPDATE:

Well, I'm finishing up season 5 (of10).
    You were all right; it did get better. And I love Major Carter ! :)
    When I finish this, I will start SG Atlantis.

What's your opinion of Atlantis? Good, better, different than SG-1?

19. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Yep, all of those at times.

neurotictim likes this.
  20. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    I'm a pretty big fan of SG-1. I have all 10 seasons and the movies on DVD. The first couple seasons definitely come off dated and a little campy. Glad you've hung in there, though.

I think you should probably look up original air dates and find out about where Atlantis spun off, and watch them kinda interspersed to truly get an immersive experience in the Stargate world. They actually ran concurrently and did quite a bit of crossover for a while. They changed actors for Dr. Wier, I think for the better, and had many many fun cameos through the years. Nothing like TNG, but still lots of faces you will recognize.

Hang in there through the Corin Nemic seasons, Michael Shanks comes back (spoiler, sorry) and the show is way better once the original cast is reunited. I have found that all in all, once they built the deep world and huge mythology of it, the last two seasons were just fun. I love Vala, and Mitchell grew on me. Wait until you've seen all of it and some Atlantis before you see Continuum and Ark of truth, though, IMO.

Only real problem I had with the show was the final episode.... It was just another episode and I felt like they owed the fans a bigger goodbye.

I personally liked absolutely ZERO past the pilot of Universe, though. I tapped out by episode 4.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021