1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stark E & Olivs?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by hdiddy, Jul 16, 2008.

1. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I'm thinking it's time to take the gut plunge. I've always wanted strings that were very growly and had lots of character. Guts never seem to be short on the stringyness sound quotient and I figured I should stop beating around the bush.

Question tho, does anybody see any issues with going with Oliv A D G with my trusty Spiro Stark E?

Right now I have Pirastro Flatchromes for the A D G... I might just keep the FCS A. Not sure.

2. milomo

milomo

Aug 5, 2007
    Bloomfield, NJ
    The Oliv A is kinda rough pizz, i'd go with Eudoxa if you definitely want a gut A.

3. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    USA
    when gut strings are flat-wrapped as Oliv and Eudoxa are, they lose a lot of growliness and character. esp. true w/ the Olivs.... just the other day i set my bass up w/ Eudoxas... sounded nice at home, at the gig (i'm on a break right now!) sounds terrible, dead, no character at all... of course the room is the worst too, but anyway, for the stringyness and character, plain gut G/D and round wrapped A/E gut or growly steel (like your starks?) is the order of the day. taking these Eudoxas off as soon as i get home. :meh: using an old Realist prob. isn't helping any, a underwood might bring out some of the character that i was hearing at home

4. GriffithLea

GriffithLea

Aug 29, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    I always wondered why people do an Oliv GD and Eudoxa AE. I had all Eudoxas in college and loved them, but I recently decided to try the Olivs. I now know why people steer clear of the lower Olivs - the Oliv A is just really thick and hard to manage. Dunno 'bout the E since I have a C extension and my long E is a Helicore, but I can only imagine it's like the A or more so. I finally took off the Oliv A and put a Bel Canto in its place, and I'm much happier now. I'd like to try a Eudoxa A now.

dfp - note that guts take a few weeks to settle in. OTOH let me know if you are really off the Eudoxas - I might take them off your hands.

In that vein, hdiddy - if you want to try my Oliv A, let me know.

P.S. I do like the Oliv G and D very much, however. I wouldn't say they are better or worse than the Eudoxas, just different.

5. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I got impatient and couldn't wait for you guys to respond, so I bit the bullet. :p I was hmmming and hawing over whether to go with Oliv G&D or go with Spiro Solos - which I have on my EUB and I love it! I ended up buying a whole Spiro Solo set along with the G&D. :D

I might end up pairing the Solo E&A with the Olivs. If I don't get enough sizzle from the Oliv's I'll start looking for unwrapped gut.

6. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    USA
    well i may have been a tad harsh on the Eudoxas last night, i bet on the right bass w/ the right rig, the right player, etc they'd be nice..... but i did take them off and put back on my plain gut G/D (La Bella) w/ a Pirastro Pizzicato A/E..... much happier now

7. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    BTW: I'd just like to note something about the mixed string thing and tensions. When I first installed everything, the strings sounded great together. After 1.5 years, it seems that the Stark E has loosened considerably while the FCS set has kept their tensions a little better. They are also newer since I went with a Dom set with the Stark E before the FCS.

So now the tensions are kinda ****ed up. There isn't enough tension for the thunder from the Stark E. Raising the heights makes the FCS set too tight. I'm hoping the Stark E will be loose enough for the guts.

8. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Ummm..... I just got my Olivs. and uh...

I don't think I can go back to steel strings. :ninja:

More deets later.

9. charlespf

charlespf

Oct 21, 2007
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Yeah! I just got an Oliv G today myself... really nice string.

10. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Initial report after replacing them one by one:

Damn, they're LOUD! They're loud and they're FAAAAAT! I can see why ppl were saying that Anima's were sorta gut-like. They are in some ways but are not in a lot of others. I think half of the great sound just come from the string being so thick. The G was the same size as the FCS A. It was awkward but there's sooo much string to grab and they're so meaty. I think the Olive's are just right for me. Lotsa thump, the sustain isn't bad either. I can see where unwrapped gut would sustain a whole lot less. These are definitely more present and have a more defined sound than the old steel strings. After playing with the Olive G&D, my FCS A and Stark E felt really thin and limp (even the Stark E). Maybe my Stark E is dead already, but that is extremely odd for a Spiro I would think for after just 1.5 years.

Anyways, playability is a bigger thing for me than just sound. I like how they are low tension but still sorta snappy. If it keeps loosening up I will raise the adjusters to maintain the tension. The girth just makes it realy easy to press down and get the note out. Feels like I spend less energy fingering now than when I did with steel strings. With the right hand, we'll have to see how much it loosens up but it's just fine right now. I dont' sense any floppiness about it.

For kicks, I put on the Spiro Solo A, new just out of the box. It sounded like a rubber band. :meh:

Anyways, I dig how they sound now and hopefully they won't darken too much or lose too much definition or I might look for unwrapped gut :ninja:. I think I'm going to go all the way and look for wrapped E&A... will look into Eudoxa's.

EDIT: I hate strings. I just played the A softly and it sounded really nice. So now I slapped on the Solo E and am praying for my wallets sake that the twang dies down. If it weren't for the twang, the character of the two sets are quite similar, just that the steels have a longer sustain.

11. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Bleah. Talk about flip flopping.

This morning I picked it up with a fresh set of ears. I was getting a similar tone with the two sets and the Spiro Solos are alright. Like I said before, they have a similar dark character but without the in-your-face attack which got replaced with a long sustaiiiiiiiiin. So in messing around, I found that the D at the harmonic on the D string was kinda dead or was giving me this "pinging" sound - what I used to get with Kolstein Heritages. Somehow my bass sounds very choked - something I didn't get with the FCS. Also, the guts (both strings) also sounded choked in the upper registers. Maybe it's a setup issue, I don't know. I got this bass set up twice and the last time was to accomodate the FCS.

Anyways, off they went and up came the Spiro Solo G&D. Full set now. Super playable. Like Obligato playable. No string rolling. I can jack up the string heights (which I did) to my hearts content and they're still very easy to play. Same kind of characteristic to my ears - dark tone, less attack more sustain. The twang isn't bad and I'm thinking it will probably go away since they're new. Looks like my gut adventure was short lived. I'm sure unwound gut would sound great, but even with the Olives, I was feeling the effects of the thick strings in my fingers joints if I played on them for a little while.

EDIT: btw... IMO, the Spiro Solo's were LESS tension than the Olives. :eyebrow: Oh yeah, the loss of volume.... oh my. Yeah it's kinda sad. I just have to tell myself I will play amplified to feel better. :meh:

Also... Damon - you need to try the Solos. It's the only way to tell but I think it would be worth your while. Thank god theyr'e not too expensive.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021