Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Starlicks "Right Hand Techniques". Anybody have this video???

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by nate 0 jt, Aug 28, 2001.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    moved to misc.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I don't have that particular video, but I have the one from the same saeries called "Bass as a solo instrument". It's not bad for the price. You get to feel what Chuck Rainey, Nathan East, Abe Laboriel and the other guys' personalities are like and you get to see them cut loose, playing some stuff you generally wouldn't see them play live. Wolf Marshall sucks as an interviewer, he's adequate at best, but then, he is a guitar player.;)

I don't think it's that great a tool as far as how to make the info work for you, though. The again, that's not the video I have, so who knows? Abe's right hand technique is pretty amazing, but I don't know what will be so different about the other guys.

Moved to General Instruction.

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I actually do have that very video. It is interesting to see each bassist with his bass of choice at the moment. Quite a few had just gone to five strings. The interviewer was very curious about that which indicates how old the video is. Is the inetrviewer Wolf Marshall, though? I thought Wolf Marshall interviewed Billy Sheehan in his videos. This guy is quite different...more of a nerd-type.

I don' t recall that any of the bassists had a six string or a fretless on this video. It has been a while since I have seen it, so I don't recall all the details.

As I recall, this video is more interesting from the perspective of seeing the bassists interviewed rather than being able to pick up some fabulous new insight or technique from what is shown. Also, no written instructional material comes with the video unlike with many others, so you have to figure out what little is actually played by yourself.

Oh, another thing. None of these bassists are metal types or rockers or country, either, for that matter. There is nothing wrong with that, but I'm just saying you won't get , Jeff Ament, Rex, Flea, Jason Newsted, or even Duff McKagan. But I don't know what you are looking for.

This video is a bit dated. I'll add that. You won't get bassists talking about effects pedals, their rack systems, their recording techniques. None use a pick for most of their playing. They don't discuss their bass electronics...active or passive. No tapping. No alternate tuning or down tuning.

This is a "pure technique" video with some slapping, some finger style, some "rasquiado" by Abe Laborial. I enjoyed Nathan East and Verdine White. Larry Graham plays a longer duet with Nathan East, if I recall correctly.

Starlicks also made a left-hand technique video with the same bassists. I don't have that one. Maybe having both would give a better, more well rounded picture and be more informative.