1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Starlight muse effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by george12, May 9, 2010.

1. george12

george12

May 9, 2010
    Hi I'm playing starlight by muse and i need to replicate Chris' effects as best as possible.
    I have a Boss ME-50B
    I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the effects / levels of what to use on it.
    Thanks

2. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    It's fuzz/distortion with very tight mids eq'ing, mixed with clean bass, as far as I can hear. Just fiddle with whatever fuzz option you have in the multi-effect until you can approximate that..

Either that or get yourself into the endless pit that is trying to identify, find, and buy the exact effects Chris uses. If that's what you want, start by doing a search and reading the hundreds of pages that have been devoted to this theme here in the TB forums.

3. george12

george12

May 9, 2010
    oh right ok thanks.
    What exactly do u mean by 'tight'? also i looked up and i think there's some octave down in there..?? don't really know if thats tr

4. george12

george12

May 9, 2010
    *true

5. AndersS

AndersS

Nov 10, 2008
    Denmark
    I've been pretty successful in replicating the Starlight sound, by playing the part an octave below, and using an octave up fuzz (HBE UFO), and then blending it with clean. Hope that helps :)

6. george12

george12

May 9, 2010
    how did u blend it with clean?

7. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    Regarding eq, it sounds there's a large emphasis on a certain band of upper mids on the fuzzed part. And yea, you could try using an octave effect there, hear what it sounds like and decide if you need it. I don't know if the me-50b has a "blend" function; if it doesn't, you'll need to get yourself a blender (eg. Boss LS-2) or use a stereo rig.

8. AndersS

AndersS

Nov 10, 2008
    Denmark
    Using either two amps or a Boss LS-2. Another option of course is takfar's suggestion about boosting the high mids. I got a good Starlight sound out of a Boss ODB-3 like that once.

9. MonsterBass101

MonsterBass101

Mar 3, 2008
    SC
    Chris uses his standard distortion sound (big muff/animato/clean signal) and an octave pedal. He plays the part an octave up and completely cuts out the dry signal into the octave pedal.

10. I use a devi ever bass fuzz with another fuzz running after it, usually my tentacle love superfuzz(octave up fuzz)

11. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    I played it at a gig with my A dropped half a tone and my E dropped a tone on my Thunderbird and the sound was almost spot on, jsut needed a little fuzz was all.

12. george12

george12

May 9, 2010
    ahh right. thanks a lot guys really helped :)

13. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    I got the Starlight tone with an MXR Bass Blowtorch :bag:

14. really what you need is a harsh fuzz that doesnt get to wild, he uses a big muff and an accai deep impact but you can get close to it with either two fuzzes into eachother or a good gated fuzz.

15. For the main riff, he plays what all the tabs say but one octave up, with an octave pedal (probably oc-2) set to one octave down, and no dry signal, to get the synthy sound, with all his usual fuzz/dist goodness. Might do the octave thing through the whole song too

16. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    Yup, I suspected the blowtorch could nail it, with all its middy/buzzsawy character.

If I were to try it with the effects I have, I'd probably try the Bass Big Muff, maybe combined with a specific VTBass EQ'ing, or even stuck-wah'ed with the Weeping Demon, then blend it with the clean using an LS-2. Playing it octave-up and then using the uPOG to bring it down might work for the fuzzed part, but I suppose the clean would sound weird.. Maybe fuzzing an up-octave would work, instead.

Did anyone understand any of that? Oh, well. Maybe I'll try it sometime this week, and maybe I'll get back to you guys.

17. AnimatoMan

AnimatoMan

Aug 7, 2010
    To get info on effects for bass
    Hey i saw that you guys were talking about the Humangear Animato pedal that Muse uses.
    I just posted a video of it on youtube, if you guys get the time check it out :) Thanks

18. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Well, that's 54 seconds of my life that I'll never get back.

19. Who is this guy and why is he posting the same thing in every thread even vaguely related to Muse irrespective of the OP? Not that posting the exact same thing in every single thread even vaguely related to Muse irrespective of the OP is a new thing around here :bag: :D