Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Starnge thing heard about Billy Sheehan's pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Meehaw, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Meehaw

Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
    I heard that he splits the P-pickup's sounds into two separate amps in a way that the E and A strings go to one amp and D and G go to another.

Of course I DO know it's a bunch of baloney, and he splits the signal between the neck and center pickup, but I just explained that to someone important and I'm in a whole lot of trouble if I was wrong. :confused:

2. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    yeah i think your right, i saw a diagram of his splittling the pickup outputs, so he had a stereo thing going on. One goes to a distorted amp one goes to a clean one.

3. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Based on everything I've read, and I'm a very big Billy Sheehan fan, you are correct. He splits the signal between the Neck and the P pickups.
    He even mentions that in one of his Cherry Lane videos.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I've split the strings on a P pup and ran them two seperate amp channels into seperate cabs. You get some useful sounds when jumping back and forth between pup halfs, especially with arpeggios and the like. It's like dualing bass players bouncing back and forth. But it doesn't really work well when you end up playing for any period on one half of the pup cuase you're only playing through one cab. If you played that in combination with another pup that took up the full spectrum it would probably fill that void but the stereo effect wouldn't be so blatantly obvious. The more practical appoach would be to run a full spectrum pup to seperate cabs.

In as much, I'd speculate he doesn't split the pup itself, especially if one amp is clean and one is dirty. I don't see that working, even in combination with another full spectrum pup, cause you'd have a dirty sound on half the pup and clean on the other half. There wouldn't be a balanced tone from the two halfs.

5. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    You can easily install preamps and controls in basses that allow you to sense seperate strings and run them all through seperate amps/effects. 7 String Conklin? Get 7 amps. If that's your thing.

-Eric.

6. Meehaw

Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
    Thanks for answering.

I wasn't asking about what can be done, but what Billy Sheehan does. ;)

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Actually Eric has a good in that I was thinking in my simplistic terms. There are simplistic pro's, there are Star Wars pro's and everything in between. I wouldn't be suprised if some of these guys don't even know how their rigs work or that maybe even any one person knows.

I don't know squat about Sheehan myself but those of you who do probably have an idea of how technical he is and can speculate on the probabilities. The Star Wars clan could be playing through rigging that functions both ways and much more.

8. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Okay, just to reiterate…he splits the neck and p-pup to 2 separate amps, not the p-pup itself.

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I seem to recall hearing that Phil Lesh, of the Grateful Dead, developed a system where each string had it's own separate output and others have done similar things. I believe the idea was that each set of speakers would only have to deal with a single sound, producing extra depth to the sound as the notes blended together in the air, post-amplification.

Maybe the person Meehaw was explaining things too had heard about something like that and was getting confused?

Wulf