Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    About ten years ago I had an opportunity to play with a REALLY BIG band. I auditioned and according to the one guy in the band I knew, was a top contender for the job. I ultimately didn't get it because the band hit it off a lot better with another guy. In all honesty, I was sh**ting in my pants throughout the audition.

A couple of close friends of mine have been very fortunate and successful - and if I chased the opportunity, chances are good I could get myself into a circle of people that are incredibly successful and famous. I don't persue any of it because I get starstruck and fear is getting the best of me. Right now I'd rather NOT have the opportunity to play with a really big band, than blow the opportunity again like I did 10 yrs ago. Pretty lame huh? It would serve me well to get past this.

Does anyone have any similar experience or ways they deal with being starstruck? A couple a drinks would probably smooth things over real well, but I don't drink for exactly that reason.
  2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Joe, maybe getting into that circle and just learning what those people are all about might be just the ticket to calm your nerves. Over the years, I've become acquainted with a bunch of famous and up-n-coming musicians and artists, as well as some that are hugely successful in various business outings (i.e. rich). I never talk about it much because I generally can't stand a name-dropper and wouldn't wanna be known that way.

Honestly, it's not gotten me a whole lot. I could've chased influence and maybe picked up some choice gigs, but I'd get to know some of these people and I'd find that they're nobody I'd want to depend on, travel with, socialize with, or in many cases, be SEEN with. In short, they're normal human beings. Once you realize that...REALLY realize it, a lot of your reservations would probably go away.
  3. I recently audtioned for a band who are pretty big locally, the bass player of whom is my biggest influence cos he is better than me, and i didnt get it cos i was shi*ing my pants.

They are hardly stars, but i found the pressure of getting into that band ruined my nerves and thus i was not my normal charismatic self, and my playing went down the toilet.

I would say that I cant handle pressure, and whenever i meet someone famous (a member of a band or such) i rush what im saying, i guess its through excitement and nerves. Must be the adrenalin rush

4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    We're possibly opening up for Celia Cruz in a few months. If you don't know who she is - she is the Salsa Queen. La Reina!!! Un poco azucar musical!!!

I'm just excited. I look at it as an opportunity. We are going to get a great audience and we will reach people who otherwise would never hear us.

I can't let nerves get in the way of that.
  5. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've never met a "star" musician. I don't think I would get starstruck though if I did meet one cause I do the same exact thing they do, they just get paid a lot more money to do it.
  6. I've met a few big stars in music. The guys from Type O Negative for one... John Mellencamp, and Ted Nugent to name some more...

I wasn't really starstruck, because I got the chance to talk to them as people. The fact that they were/ are huge stars didn't get in my way. I could have let it, but they are just people, no different from you or me.

I was more nervous when I got an audition with a band up in Sacramento. They aren't huge, but they are well established on the local scene. I would have loved to play bass in that band, but I had to be realistic. Right now, my job doesn't leave room for a band. But, I jumped at the opportunity because they liked my playing and were excited to have me practice with them. I shot myself in the foot, and wasted their time, because I was "starstruck" with a group of guys who weren't even stars.:rolleyes:
  7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I went to high school in Japan with a girl who is a huge singer. I knew her before she got famous, and when she hit it big I was expecting everything to change. But she was still the same person. She acted like it and everyone treated her like it. What I'm trying to say is even the biggest musicians are normal people just like you and me.
  8. The day before V-day i met the lead singer of Powerman 5000 at the main st. grill in cambria cali, we were the only people in the place that recognized him, it was awsome, we talked to him for about 15 min. about his band and my band and bunch of stuff. i wasn't starstruck talking to him but after we were done we were like little school girls... :p ... i also offered to play bass for him. he was the coolest person to talk to.
  9. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    I dont normally get starstruck. But if I ever met the guys from Rage Against the Machine. I would piss my pants right there.

lol. Drummer in my band says he would have Tom Morello's baby!

10. 60HzRumble

Mar 31, 2002
    Harrisburg, PA
    Wow, now that's love...

They very first show I ever player was with a band called Into Another...The bass player (Tony Bono) is incredible. I went in to the bathroom and puked before the show, played terribly on my piece-o-crap bass and slinked around after I was done to watch him rock the house. After the show, he asked if I was the same bassist from the CD we were selling. He kinda smiled and said, "We all have those nights."

That was the most intimidated/embarrassed I had ever been until I met Gene Simmons....