1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Start of a Miles Davis Transcription

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
  2. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
  3. Fuzz Aldrin

Fuzz Aldrin

Apr 5, 2012
    Very cool man, thanks for sharing this.

4. Thanks for the analysis/sharing, sounds good!

5. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Glad you're enjoying it! The next part will be available soon, I will post it here when it is!

6. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
  7. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Fishbrain,

I get the sense, from your comments, that you are thinking that this tune is in Bb Major:

"With that in mind, while I was transcribing the solo all of the patterns seem to fit really neatly into the familiar shape of a Bb Major Scale so it is tempting to say that he is just thinking Bb Major the whole time, but taking a closer look I’m not so sure.

For starters each time the G- comes around he is playing E naturals which aren’t found in the Bb Major scale, so it’s pretty safe to say he’s thinking more along the lines of G Dorian there.

Also in the second bar, he plays a G-7 arpeggio to land on the root of the F7, so even though the notes are all Bb Major, it does suggest he’s thinking a bit deeper than that. On top of this he starts his run into the Eb Major with the #4 which unless he’s thinking Lydian is pretty coincidental!

The only clue I really have at the moment is that on the second D7b9 he plays a Bb which isn’t found in a regular D7 or D7b9. I have previously transcribed the bassline that Sam Jones is playing under this solo (available from my transcription page!) and using this for clues it does seem that Jones is playing D7b9 as his line is full of Ebs on this chord, but for now I’ll reserve judgement until we get further through this awesome solo!"

I would say that the A-Section is in G Minor. From the point of G Minor, you have three scales to choose from:

Natural -- G, A, Bb, C, D, Eb, F, G

Melodic-- G, A, Bb, C, D, E, F#, G

Harmonic-- G, A, Bb, C, D, Eb, F#, G

Forget the bit about being in G Dorian - it's not. Mixing these three Minor scales goes back hundreds of years.

I prefer to analyze the chords this way:

|| ivm7 | bVII7 | IIIM7 | VIM7 | iiø7 | V7(b9) | im7 | im7 ||

Gm7 with an "E" is from G Melodic Minor - no surprise, yet it sounds surprising.

D7(b9) with a "Bb" is quite common -- the Flat-Thirteenth = D7(b9b13). Also notice that the solo uses "F" over this D7 chord. It's actually "E#", or the #9. It also gives a bluesy sound. IF you find it necessary to assign a scale to the D7, go with Mixolydian b2 (which also should include the #2 - D, Eb, E#, F#, G, A, Bb, C, D). But NO master improvisor plays this scale up and down, though. Choose carefully.

8. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Thanks for your input, some interesting points raised. I'm fairly sure most people analyze the chords the way I have done which would be

ii | V | I | IV | ii | Vb9 | i | i |

Makes much more sense to me to think of it with a key change, or even the last bars as ii V of vi.

I will definitely look at it again with those minor scales in mind!

9. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    I'm aware of the thinking that the first 3 measures are a ii7-V-I, in Bb. They are not.

The melody in the A-Section (in fact the whole tune) is definitely ALL in G Minor. A simple diatonic melody that is derived from both the Natural and Melodic Minor. There is no key change. It would be silly to think the first 3 measures in one key and the next 5 measures in another - then repeat this. No.

Always refer to the melody.

Harmonically, the A-Section progression is a cycle of fifths, in G Minor -- as old and as familiar as it gets.

It ends on a G, so work backwards -- G, D, A, Eb, Bb, F, C -- to realize the cycle

Next, harmonize this pattern, using the G minor scales. You can fully harmonize through to the 13th.

iv - C, Eb, G, Bb, D, F, A
    bVII - F, A, C, Eb, G, Bb, D
    III - Bb, D, F, A, C, Eb, G
    IV - Eb, G, Bb, D, F, A, C
    iiº - A, C, Eb, G, Bb, D, F
    V - D, F#, A, C, Eb, G, Bb
    i - G, Bb, D, F, A, C, Eb (or E-natural)

No modes, no key change, simple.

How the original, diatonic melody is harmonized, is the challenge for the arranger/improvisor. For example, there are many versions for measures 27-28 out there.

An explanation as to why Miles plays E-naturals, over the im7 chord, comes from the opening bass line. He certainly wouldn't sit on an Eb. :)

Another thing, these originators of this style (Bird, Miles, Dizzy, and so many more), were NEVER thinking of "this mode goes with this scale". This was later developed in the academic world as a teaching tool. Avoid it at all costs. Otherwise, you will end up running scales like every other college jazz student.

Look at the extensions if you need to put on a "this is why" label. Forget the modes bit. That's not what is happening, in this tune.

10. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    OMG, what an amazing solo... And Cannonball's is pretty great too.

11. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool