Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Start using CGCF... What could the B be?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Obsolex, May 1, 2003.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I think i'm going to start using , CGCF and I have a 5 string, what could I make the B? GCGCF? _-soto-_

2. Sten

Sten

Nov 18, 2001
    Estonia
    As far as I know, CGCF is used to get the extra lower notes. As you have a 5 string, you already have 2 extra notes compared to CGCF in standard tuning! I'd recommend keeping the standard tuning or tune all strings down equally(eg from low to high ADGCF) so you still have same patterns on all strings. Makes thing easier.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Unless he needs that open C alot. This was my case, and he might consider tuning UP his b string to a C, or, for super heavy results, tune as he mentioned, dropping ALL strings 2 steps down.

4. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I just want to hear a TON of different tunings, everything... _-soto-_

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  6. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    :eek: GOOD GOD :eek: _-soto-_

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  8. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Cytrex's seems to be the easiest method. drop the B to an A. Than you get the Octave from the Open A and a 2nd Fret on the G as you would originally with the B to 2nd fret D.

You could also just go with a 4 string bass. If funds allow.

9. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    My guitarists use CGCFAD and I tune the B string to C. I hate wacky tunings.

10. I normally alternate between BEADG, ADADG, GCGCF and ADGCF. They seem to cover just about everything I need perfectly.

11. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Im in ecaxtly the same boat. My guitarist tunes CGCFwhatever whatever, and since i have a 5 string, i dont know what to put the B to. ive kept it to a C, but i need somethong else so i can play around more and explore the notes.

Should i make the B string an A or a G?

Is this what you asking Obsolex?