Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Started a Glucosamine regimen. How much, how often?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blackbird, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    They say the knees are the first to go...or is it the mind? I forget.

My left knee has always hurt a little since I suffered a sports injury in high school. After posting about it here on TB, I was advised to try Glucosamine (Thanks.)

Well, i finally went to Walgreens and bought some of the stuff, but it doesn't say how often I should take it. Once a day? Twice? After every meal? I don't want to waste capsules by ingesting more than my body can absorb.

Ideas? Thanks.

2. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    it's been recently shown that it doesn't help at all, the initial studies were faked.

save your money

3. well, yes and no.

in the world of nutritional supplements, (as with lots of medicine) there are always conflicting reports.

glucosamine is quite effective in repair of cartiledge, but it isn't really all that effective in strengthening a healthy knee-joint. it has very little maintanance value, its more for injury recovery.

that said, about 5g per day with a carbohydrate bond for uptake is recommended, with another 5g each time you exercise your lower body. This is assuming of course that the product you are using has "carrier" product included. You should be consuming no more than 1.5g of actual glucosamine daily, therefore check the ratio in the product you are using.

4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    my knees and my elbows hurt quite a lot. And I started taking some glucosamine about 2 weeks ago. I've been told that it takes about 2 months before I will start feeling better.

So far...no changes

5. I was told by a Doc (anaethetist actually) a while ago - take double the standard daliy dose for the first two weeks. Then go to the standard daily dose.
    The standard dose may vary from place to place - and I'm no expert - but this will bring on the effects sooner.

Any effects will be gradual - mainly due to cartilage not having any blood supply - so healing is slow.

I also heard about it not working at all - but I've had ssooooo many patients from work praise it and swear by its results........so really i guess its whatever works for you.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I took it for a few months and got absolutely zero results. Get a neoprene sports knee brace for when you run or do other strenuous activities. That will help a hell of a lot more than some snake oil.

7. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Once a day will be fine and take it with food to aid in assimilation.

8. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Glucosamine and chondroitin are substances in the body that are involved in the synthesis of cartilage. These two substances often are found together in over-the-counter dietary supplements advertised for bone and joint health. The glucosamine and chondroitin in these marketed supplements are extracted from shell fish and animal cartilage

Studies show that some people with mild-to-moderate osteoarthritis (OA) report pain relief after taking glucosamine/chondroitin supplements for 4 weeks of continuous treatment (University of Cali fornia-Davis, 2001). Some research indicates that these supplements also may slow cartilage degeneration in OA. An important review of 15 human clinical trials showed that these supplements demonstrated efficacy in decreasing symptoms of OA. However, the quality of some research studies is questionable.

According to one assessment index which measures outcomes in OA, patients in this study experienced significant improvement in pain. Conversely, when another pain assessment tool was used, no benefit was evident. There is a study, I am told, currently underway that will study pain control, joint space narrowing, and safety of the substances will be compared over a 2-year period in over 15,000 subjects with OA of the knee at 13 medical centers across the country. The results are anticipated to be published soon.

There are some caveats to these substances. Persons allergic to shellfish should avoid using glucosamine-containing supplements because the glucosamine is derived from the shells of crustaceans. Glucosamine may interact with anticoagulant drugs to increase risk of bleeding. Some investigators continue to find that glucosamine/chondroitin supplements have a diabetogenic effect and warn that persons with diabetes who use these supplements must vigilantly monitor their blood sugar.

Mike