1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Starter, ~$1k, 3/4 Size Instruments

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Steve Freides, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    Curious to hear opinions on Strunal 50/4, Englehardt C1, Carlo Robelli (do they still make those) and similar.

I have a student who, although only in the 5th grade, is rapidly outgrowing the 1/4 size she's been renting from me and is probably going straight to a 3/4. Her parents are both tall and she's following in their footsteps.

My 3/4 with the peg all the way in is only an inch or two too tall for her right now. We (her parents and me) are planning on getting her something new between now and September. She played my bass for a while during her last lesson and her eyes lit up - it speaks louder, probably because it's both bigger and better, and she works hard and has earned this.

I will help the parents find a used bass (either here or ebay or similar) just for the $$$ factor so you're welcomed to offer anything specific you've got or are away of. (We are in northern NJ, near NYC.)

In the course of my lifetime, one of the biggest changes I've seen has been the improvement in quality of starter-level instruments, a very nice thing, IMHO.

Your comments are solicited and you have my thanks in advance for your replies.

-S-

2. I had a Strunal 50/4 and it was a nice bass for the money, but it had a great setup. Huge neck, though. I bought it for $600 or so. An Engel would do well if she wants to play old country or rock.

3. bassfat

bassfat

Oct 3, 2010
    I love my Eastman 80...best $400 I ever spent!

4. I hate to bring this thread back but...any info on the Carlo Robelli basses?

5. Yeah -- avoid them. Where are you located? Maybe someone has a line on something.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021