1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Starter Ampeg amp (SVT style look)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NickFromNY, Jan 2, 2018.

1. NickFromNY

NickFromNY Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    If you had to choose between the 2, would you pick a Micro VR head or a solid state SVT350 or 450 head? Everyone should own a P-bass, right? Everyone should own an Ampeg at one point too. I have had the PF500 and had issues with it cutting out, going into protect, etc. Prefer the look of the SVT style box head. Not looking to shell out for a tube amp. Will maybe get 4 or 5 gigs a year with either a 4 ohm Berg 2x12 or 4 ohm Berg 410.

2. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I borrowed a 450 and I thought it sounded good. I have a heritage, ive owned the svt 2 non pro and the svt 4. I got a really good Kiss tone out of it.

Someone is/was selling one where they put rack rails in the back and put rack gear like tuner, wireless, RBI in the back. Very cool!

I'd get a 450

3. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Gigs? I'd take the Micro VR right out of the equation personally. I don't believe I've played either 350 or 450 before, so I'd have the try them out first.

If it were me I would save for the tube amp. SVT-CL's can be found for under $1K.

rickwebb and bobyoung53 like this.
  4. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Gold Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Nick, the Micro-VR will do an outstanding job unless you are playing to a VERY large room w/o PA support. Given that you are looking to use either a 212 4ohm can or a 410 4ohm cab, you should be good -- especially if you like the look of an SVT head.

I would suggest trying to find within driving distance, take your cab and bass with you, and try it out to see if it fits your needs.

Good luck!

5. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    I ran my SVT-610HLF with a US made SVT-450H for a couple years and it did the job alright. I always had PA support though and probably never ran the master volume past 5. It was a solid rig.

rickwebb likes this.
  6. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I'd feel dumb with that little VR head on stage. Need the little Stonehenge stones from spinal tap to go with it.

7. Funny thing is that although the Micro VR is larger physically than most of the more popular class D amps, its SVT inspired styling makes many think of it as not a 'proper' amp or even a toy!
    The Micro VR is a very capable 260 watt at 4 ohm class AB head that when paired with the correct cabinet for your needs (right up to an 810) will do just fine.

12BitSlab likes this.
  8. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az

I own a Micro VR and an SVT-350. Through an 8x10, the Micro VR can hold its own. It's very loud, and would work for all but the largest rooms. With the 2x10 stack, it's a medium duty rig. I'd imagine that a 450 would be pretty universal for all gigging, regardless of room size.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I like the sound of the Micro VR a lot better but the 350 or 450 will be louder. The 350 and 450 aren't my thing, but they can be dialed in to sound decent.

mapleglo likes this.