Starter Bass + Amp, $1,000.00 Budget

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hawtin47, Oct 14, 2003.

1. hawtin47

Oct 9, 2003
    Lyons, Oregon

I'm looking to buy a 4-string bass and amp (the amp mainly for practice with an electronic drum set and low-powered guitar amp) and have about a grand to spend total.

Looking for advice on an appropriate ratio for the gear expenditure (70-30 bass?) and brand recommendations.

I like a wider neck like a a P-style over a J-style, but have no brand preferences for anything.

Primary music styles will be contemporary worship music along with some classic rock and cowboy country/bluegrass. I don't like the looks of the more metal-oriented basses.

I have no experience playing the bass, but have played acoustic and electric guitar and mandolin for a couple of years.

Also - should I consider a 5-string bass out of the chute, or stick to the 4-string for now?

Thanks -

2. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Hi there.

For a practice amp, you should probably get something 50 to 100 watts with a 12 or 15" speaker. Even a low powered guitar amp gets pretty loud. Ampeg has a "Rocket" series that I think produces a great tone, and is fairly loud for a small combo amp. The two in paticular are called the B100-R and the B50-R.

If you want to use the amp in your Worship, you would need to take the size of the room into consideration. This could mean that all you need is that same 100w 15" combo, or perhaps you might need a 400 + watt head and a 410 ... or even more!

I will put my recommendation for your Bass, in your bass thread.
  3. hawtin47

Oct 9, 2003
    Lyons, Oregon
    Thanks for the input.

My amp won't be used in the worship group, as they already have a beefy older SWR head/cab that works great. Mine will just be for home use and small practice sessions.

Thanks gang -

4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Hey man, nice budget for a starter ;);). You should really stick with a 4 string for a while... But anyway... You could get a lot of different things.

I say that you should get an SWR Workingmans 12 combo probably used on ebay... They can be very cheap on ebay. And it's 100 watts, so that would probably last for just a little while ;);).
    The for a bass, you should get something like a Fender Jazz Standard maybe?? Or an Essex, Ibanez, or something in those lines...
    Just a few suggestions...
    Good luck!!
  5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Just something to consider, if you bought good used gear (and took good care of it), firstly, you'll get more bang for your buck and secondly, if you decide you are not a bass player, you can probably resell it for what you have in it.

[I am prejudiced towards 5 strings and don't do 4's anymore, so I would say go for it with a 5.]
  6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Sorry man, I really really really say to go with a 4...
  7. Ampeg B-100R plus Peavey T-40, MIM Jazz used MIA or MIJ Jazz, G&L... I think you will succeed to get under grand even with used Fender Roscoe Beck, new Ken Smith Design Jazz 5 or MTD Grendels (all great basses) + used Peavey, Ampeg or SWR combos if you'd like to try 5 string. Anyway, good luck
  8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Your budget will allow for a really good bass (or a couple of decent, serviceable, giggable) basses and a pretty decent amp.

On the basses side, I'd look at older used Japan made Fernandes J, PJ or P clones. The older (mid 80's through mid 90's) Fernandes Tele clones have taken off in the used market, the basses and Strats are still a real deal. about $200

Made in Mexico Fenders are giggable after a setup. Many folks, myself included do a pickup swap. I went to a vintage sounding Duncan that I like a lot. $200 to 350 model depending

Amps wise, I'd plan on more than you think you need at home. Problem with a home pratcie amp is that it doesn't do anything else. Maybe a coffee house, that's about it. You should be able to find a decent 200 watt 2x10 or 1x15 combo in the 400 to 500 range. GK 400 2x10, Eden Nemesis 2x15 or 1x15 combo's would be a thought. I sold a Nemesis 2x10 through the GFS for $475 shipped a while ago. That is pretty much the going rate and those are amps that you can gig with if neccessary (metal heads need not apply ...)

So - reset your budget to $700, get a MIM or a Fernandes (or other clone if you find a good playable, not over - valued) bass and hold that other $300 for a backup bass - or a fretless if this really takes hold.

For the music you mention, a 4 string bass should suffice. I have multiple 4's and a single 5. I like the 5 but it doesn't get all that much work.

I used to be a P - neck guy. As I triple betweeen bass, guitar and keys I find the J neck doesn't screw me up near as much when I shift from bass back to the Tele! I miss the meat, but overall the J neck is a better bet for me.
  9. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    GK mb 150 used will satisfy your budget and your needs out of the house if you are not planning on a loud band. That should leave enough for a MIM or something else.

Lakland Skylines and MTD Heirs are good choices as well.
  10. hawtin47

Oct 9, 2003
    Lyons, Oregon
    Bought a used Peavey Cirrus 5 AND an Essex SX SJB-62 and a Fender Bassman 25. Oughta hold me for awhile, considering I don't know what in the world I'm doing...

Thanks for the advice -

11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas

The Cirrus is a good bass (don't know anything about the Essex). The Bm 25 is a good amp for its size and price.

They should do you fine.