Starter bass,Fender or Ibanez?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wasifoo, Dec 21, 2000.

1. Wasifoo

Dec 21, 2000
    ok i have roughly $300-$500 USD to spend.($800CDN, where i am) I cant try any bass(in my $$ range) expect MIM fender Jazz because of the sad size of my music store. I am more interested in the Ibanez SR400, but have not been able to try it yet. I like the overall feel of the fender but as i said havent been able to try the other. I play mostly metal and funk, jazz sometimes too. Let me know what you think of these basses for the price range, or suggest a better bass in the same price range. ive heard good and bad about both :confused:but need to play each to find which is better for me! Any (open minded) opinion is welcome! :cool:
  2. zhaduum

Dec 21, 2000
    for that money, i think i'd side with the Ibanez, i just bought one back in June for 500 and i love it, tone and sound is great and if you can get a decent rig or effects for it you'll love it, especially for metal.
  3. VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    I would go for a fender or save up even more. For $500 you can get an American Fender off of ebay and for 700-800 you may be able to get a musicman. I personally dislike Ibanezes. If you go for a Fender, you'll have money left over which whould be a plus. You could use the extra 200 for a few stompboxes, etc.
  4. my first bass was an ibanez gsr200, its my main bass and i play it alot and i love it. and since your looking at way better ibanez bass that means youll probably have better stuff on it than mine. which means youll probably like it if you bought it.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think if we're talking about a **starter** bass, this implies that you want to build up from there. My view then is that Fender are undoubtedly best for this purpose, as their range are very similar, but with upgrades in quality available.

This means that you can start off with a low-price Jazz bass and "trade up" to something higher up the range with little problem - you will know the bass and how it feels.

Also - there is a large "spare parts" industry around Fender, so you can easily replace bridge, pickups etc. This is because Fender stick to a standard "template" and you know that parts will fit. Whereas, a company like Ibanez change their models every year and even models in the same year don't have common dimensions or shapes.

So it is quite difficult to upgrade an Ibanez and also their "re-sale" value is subsequently poor. You can always re-sell Fenders for a reasonable price, as people know what they're getting, but with Ibanez changing their models so frequently, people won't know much about a model from 3-4 years ago. Whereas, if you say "Fender Jazz '99", then everybody knows what we're talking about.

That Ibanez may look "cool" now, but when you get fed up with the pickups it will be hard to replace them and when you eventually want to sell it - you will almost certainly lose out big time!
  6. Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    Go with the Fender.

Having owned both, I was glad that my first bass 11 years ago was a Japanese made Fender Jazz. Classic passive tone, and still as cool today as when I bought it.

Unless you're lucky enough to score a used Ibanez Musician (saw one '79 model with original hardware for US$550), get a MIM jazz or precision, depending on your budget.
  7. I have an sr400. It is a little more expensive than the fender(like 30 bux more) but for the 520 canadian I payed for it, I like it. I put on some D'addarios exl160s and damn does it ever boom! Louder and stronger than I ever thought possible out of my little amp before.
  8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I would go with Fender for all the reasons Bruce said.
  9. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I would look for a used MIJ or MIA Fender, should be easy to find in your price range.
  10. Skip

Mar 22, 2000
    Bronxville, NY
    I just got my first bass - a MIM Jazz. I got it because it has an easy upgrade path (bridge, pick-ups, etc.), is cheap at $300, and every tech in the world can service a Jazz.

That said I got my bass from Manny's in NYC because the guys who work there are pros (thanks espically to Gil). My bass came straight out the box and was set up for me right then and there. I would suggest, whatever you get, get it from a good shop and let them set it up for you.

Merry Merry and good luck shopping

11. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Both offer nice basses in your range but i lean more towards Fenders.Id also look at some of the Epiphones.Theyve got some nice sounding/playing basses these days.Good luck!
  12. Wasifoo

Dec 21, 2000
    What about a Spector NS2000B? is that a better option than MIM fender or Ibanez?(in your opinion)
  13. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Narrow choices, a shabbily made Fender or an Ibanez with crummy pickups.

I would recommend Hartke or Epiphone, both better made and more for the money. Might cost just a few bucks more but worth the wait.
  14. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    I say go with the Ibanez. I got my SR-405 off of eBay for about $300. I was also strapped for cash. You can find great deals like that at eBay. I really like it to and the low B isn't to floppy. If your looking at an SR-400 I say go with it. The EQ on the Soundgear series are cool too.
  15. Go with a Fender. A used MIA or MIJ if you can find one or a new MIM. Ibanez makes a nice bass but they just don't hold their value. Since this is a "starter" you'll most likely want to trade up in a few years. You'd be lucky to sell an SR400 for half of what you paid for it new. OTOH, a good used MIA or MIJ Fender will retain basically 100% of its value over the next few years while a new MIM will retain probably around two thirds of the price you'd pay for it new. Also, as already mentioned, there are many upgrades for a Fender. You can totally customize it to your personal desires.