1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

starter bass for 8 yr old?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by allifromny, Mar 31, 2015.

1. allifromny

allifromny

Mar 12, 2015
    Hello
    My son has been playing (electric) bass (guitar?) for about a year. He's really keen to get an upright; any thoughts as to whether he is still too small or young (he's tall and strong, but still 8)? Or, if now is as good a time as any, any recommendations for a decent starter instrument for him? I don't know what a realistic budget is, but I don't think we'd want to spend more than $1k if we can get an instrument that he can grow with for the next several years at that price.
    Thanks for your thoughts!
    -afny

2. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    A half size bass with a good setup ought to get him started if he has a teacher of some sort. Good luck!

drurb likes this.
  3. allifromny

allifromny

Mar 12, 2015
    Thanks! He does have a teacher. If I'm looking at used instruments (there's limited availability locally), what should I look for? Any makers you can recommend?

4. allifromny

allifromny

Mar 12, 2015
    Sorry - just discovered the "newbies, read this first" forum. I'll read through that before posting further. Thanks!

5. I cannot recommend any makers because the US market differs a lot from the European market. I can however share my experience regarding size.

My daughter started at 7 on a 1/16 bass. The bass was ordered especially for her by the luthier where I rent it. We tried a 1/8th first but that was definitely too large. Now she is 8 (9 in July) and she is ready for a larger bass. I will try and see if she is ready for a 1/4th but our teacher guessed she might be better of with a 1/8th for the next year. My daughter is medium in length.