starter bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tiemyshoe, Feb 27, 2001.

1. Tiemyshoe

Feb 5, 2001
    Hi, Im a truly new bass player n im so torn cuz i duno wut bass to get! in todays world u got so much good basses under $400.Ive been lookin at Fender mim jazz n precision, dean edge 4, cort curbow 4, hartke wk4, mtd k4 and ibanez sr300dx&400. Which one do you personally think i should get?
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I just picked up (as a second bass) a MIM Jazz. I paid $280 at Guitar Center. It's not a wonderful bass, but is comfortable to play and has a decent tone, for the money.
  3. I played a couple Deans, and they always felt more than the price tag.......I like them.... I think if you pay $400 for a Dean it is like $600 of many other brands, check out Fernandes at that price too.......
  4. AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    MTD all the way. It's the best one out those and some that are much more. The deans are a great value. The Fenders aren't bad but they're not orginal or different at all. The Ibanez 300 isn't to bad of a bass but the 400 is much better. The cubow is sweet and will stand out it also sounds teriffic. The hartke is piece of crap don't waste your money on one. I don't have much experence with Fernandes but they also seem pretty good. My choices:

1. The MTD by far
    2. The Cubow
    3. De-Armond pilot (not the standard model)
    4. Schecter Stiletto deluxe-4
    5. The Dean Edge 4
    6. Fender MIM

That looks ok to me. Bottom line: do your homework and look beond guitar center because GC sucks, good prices but it still sucks. It seems to me that if you know about MTD's you've done some already. Go to or to and look around as well.
  5. I used to be in your position Tiemyshoe, but I bought myself a fender Pbass copy (its a fernandez) and I absolutely love it. If I were you, I would get a Fender MIM Pbass.
  6. Tiemyshoe, you will get many opinions from TB'ers here. Most of them sound, but all, subjective personal opinions. So, I may as well throw my own in here as well - Try them all out. Spend a bit of time at the store (and ask the salesman to stay away from you :) ). I, along with many other TB'ers, opine that brand name does not rank nearly as high as your personal satisfaction. If it doesn't feel and sound good to you, it doesn't matter what brand it is, it's still s**t! Also keep in mind that one MIM Jazz may sound and feel very different from another (and that goes for the other brands as well). It's very easy (as a beginner) to get caught up in the 'brand-game', where you buy something simply because it's a Fender, or whatever, and because you heard that they were good. By all means, listen to all our opinions (because I doubt any of them are 'bad' opinions), but make your own decision based on your opinion of the playability, tone, and quality of your prospective choice.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide on.

(BTW - I am very happy with my MIM Jazz - took me 2 months of comparing to purchase it, but I think it was a great choice for a 'low-cost' bass).
  7. SantasCabanaBoy

Jan 15, 2001
    i am not really a big time fender lover but I own 2 cheap one and for the price they are a solid bass that sound pretty good. A mexican jazz or mexican pbass is better than most instruments in the price range. Also check out the Epiphone ripper, for $300 it is a really impressive instrument. Maple body and neck