1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Starter Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by quasiz_bassist, Nov 30, 2006.

1. I'm a drummer switching to the bass, and I'm really curious, what was your guys first bass, do you recommend it? I'm not for sure what companies make great basses, my budget however is 500-800 dollars.

2. can you provide a bit more info...

do you have an amp, or is that part of the bass budget?
    What are you trying to accomplish with the rig (practice in the beadroom, play on small/medium/large stages, etc)?
    any bass players or tones you really like?

3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Also, what type of music do you play?

There are plenty of good, cheap starter instruments out there: SX, Ibanez, Yamaha, Fender Squier, to name a few. It depends on what sound you're looking for and what you like to play.

The best advice is to get yourself over to a mucic shop and pick up as many basses as you can and play them. Find one that you really like (in terms of sound, feel, playability) and then look at the price to see if it's in your budget. Don't be afraid to look at used basses too, you can often pick up some really good ones that you can't afford new if you're in the right place at the right time.

4. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    500-800 bucks will get you a pretty nice bass, or a decent bass and an amp. my picks are yamaha, ibanez, and if your budget's a little low, SX. i think you can get a euro spector around there, and they are the nicest basses i know in the price range. you might not be able to find one to try, tho.

go and feel what feels right. there's a HUGE stock of basses within your budget, so its just up to you to find something you like, cos someone with gorilla hands probably wont like the same basses as you (or me).

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Don't worry about what other people play. (My 1st was a Peavy T-40 BTW) To go purchase something for yourself simply because someone else recommends it is insane. The reason that there are so many manufacturers making basses of their own design is because people like different things.

Go out and play a bunch of them. See what you like. I think it's very important to reach your own conclusions and form your own opinions. They will probably be different from mine, but I'm not going to let you play my bass anyway.

6. Thanks for all the help. :)