Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Starter basses: Ibanez SR640 or SR400?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LoJoe, Sep 10, 2002.

1. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Hi all. First post here. I have been enjoying reading all the great info over the last couple of weeks. Ok so here's my first dumb question. I am a former rhythym guitar player in our band, but when our bass player moved away with his job 2 months ago, I got the bright idea that I would replace him on bass since we had wannabe guitar players coming out the wazoo and I was tired of always having to compete to keep my position. I gotta tell you that after only 2 months, I love the bass so much now I may never pick up a guitar again! To get to my question, as a "beginnner" I have been playing an Ibanez SR400 I picked up used and it seems to be pretty solid. I have a chance to trade it and 125 bucks more for a brand new Ibanez SR640. Ok quit laughing! I said I'm a beginner so I'm not quite ready for a high dollar bass yet. Now, I would think that a 640 is a few steps up from a 400 but when I examine them, the only difference I see is that the "higher end" 640 only has 2 tone pots, a low and high tone adjustment, while my current 400 has 3 pots, low, high, AND mid. They both have the same passive IBX P & J pickups with a 9V pre-amp. In trying to get info on the 640, it seems that Ibanez has discontinued them, but is still cranking out SR400's. Was the 640 a problematic model? Ok enough rambling for my first time out. If you guys don't have much info on these low end Ibanez basses, I understand completely. If I can get good enough on this thing (progressing nicely too!), I will be looking to upgrade to an even nicer one next year and maybe my second post will be asking your advice then. Just tell me to keep my used SR400 until I'm ready for a real bass and my wife will love you for it, and I won't feel like I'm missing out on a "Great Deal!!!" Thanks in advance!

Joe

2. I'd suggest getting a different Ibanez like a BTB or go with a different company, I used to have a SR400 and wasn't too please with it.

3. RyKnoz

RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    NYC
    Schecter Stiletto Elite, a little less than $500. Nice bass, actions very nice compared to some Ibanez's. Pickups are the cheaper EMG Hz, active electronics, neck-thru, 24 jumbo frets, rosewood fretboard, maple neck, mahogony/figured maple top.

More info at
    Schecter Stiletto Elite

4. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater
    i'd keep the 400 instead paying 100 bucks more for a bass thats not a great change. actually, i'd go further and save that to buy new things for my rig. like, what if i bought a sansamp DI preamp instead of switchin to a bass thats not a big step ahead? your sound would completely change and i'd bet my ass that'd be your best invest ever.

but like many of the folks here, even though youre starting, not many people have that 500 to start bassin' so think about the basses written above, but also take a look at my suggestions.....(hey!, they could be helpful!)

· yamaha bb605
    · ibanez btb405
    · fender jazz V
    · any warwick rockbass
    · and one of my favorites....

[​IMG]

.......brought to you by www.basscentral.com

Last edited by Gard on 09-10-2002 at 11:17 PM

5. RyKnoz

RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    NYC
    Yea I would suggest an MTD Kingston too, that is if your into the 5 string thing, if not I prefer the Stiletto Elite to the Kingston 4'er.

6. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I am a proud owner of a 640, and I can get great tones out of it. Keep in mind, in my desolate city, there are no MTD kingstons, rockbasses, etc. NOTHING. But I compared the 400 also, and personally, it felt nowhere near as comfortable to play as the 640. Plus, I got a deal: It was the last 640 for sale in Edmonton!

So if you have access to all that fancy lower end stuff, go for it. But as far as I can see, the 640 is not problematic, maybe they weren't doing as well as Ergodynes or the higher end SR800, or the cheaper SR400. That would be my best guess.

7. I'm new to all these terms, but I have an'86 Peavey Dynabass. Been throuhg h 3 or 4 teachers that just wanted for me to carry them to gigs. Didn't teach squat!!! Now I'll be taking from an excellent player. Anyway , is my bass ok or do I need to get something else.:confused: