1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Starter 'Big Rig' Bass Head shootout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Trus3683, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Trus3683

Trus3683

Feb 14, 2013
    Connecticut, USA
    Hey guys. I just bought my first cabinet, a Peavey 410TX in mint condition. I'm now looking for a reliable ad gig-worthy amp to run it with on the used market and have narrowed it down to four contenders in the same price range, but don't know which to choose.
    I play all styles of music, (From jazz to deathcore) so versatility is necessary, and I am currently in two metal bands so it also needs to be able to cut through reasonably well.
    I play a passive PJ bass. The cabinet is 350 watts at 8 Ohms.

Which ones would you recommend more and have had better experiences with? Reliability? Versatility?
    If you guys have any other suggestions, Those are great too. Try to keep the price at about 300 USD maximum used. Any help appreciated!

GK Backline 600
    Ampeg B2R/B2RE
    Peavey Tour 450/700
    Hartke HA3500

2. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker

Dec 4, 2010
    Ocala, FL
    Hartke LH500 comes to mind.

3. Trus3683

Trus3683

Feb 14, 2013
    Connecticut, USA
    How similar or different is it to the HA3500?

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Out of those, I'd take the Ampeg.

5. Trus3683

Trus3683

Feb 14, 2013
    Connecticut, USA
    For what reasons would you choose the Ampeg?

6. Skip those and get yourself a Carvin BX500. Better sound, more flexible, And, if you can spend $50 over your budget to buy new, you get a warrantee.

7. Trus3683

Trus3683

Feb 14, 2013
    Connecticut, USA
    Could you define 'Better Sound'? Is it more clear?

8. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    I have first hand experience with the GK Backline and the Ampeg.

The GK is much louder than its wattage rating would suggest. It's also very versatile, sounding fat and somewhat old-school with the contour all the way off and the EQ knobs at noon, but can get very modern and aggressive with more contour and boost. The low end is deep, but has the potential to be boomy on hollow stages and bad rooms.

The Ampeg definitely has that Ampeg tone, with a tighter low end than the GK, a pleasant midbass/low mid bump, relaxed high mids, and present but not aggressive highs. It's about as loud as you'd think, being pretty close in overall volume to the GK. Due to the graphic EQ, this is another highly versatile amp, but the clipping that results from cranking the input gain wasn't very pleasant to me, so I'd get my OD from a pedal if I used this amp.

I used a Hartke 3500 at a friend's house once about a year ago, but I don't remember enough about it to give any solid advice.

If I may throw in another suggestion, check out the Carvin BX500. More EQ capability than either of the above, more power, and still at the same price point as the Ampeg.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

9. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    BIG +1!!!!!!!

Just tried the Hartke LH500 to replace my burnt-out Amp*g PF-500...
    Just wow.......:eek: :hyper: :D