Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Starter recording set?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by KeithBMI, Feb 23, 2006.

1. I have a Fostex MR8HD which can record 4 tracks at a time, but our band needs a lot more. We don't like the idea of overdubbing instruments.

Is it possible to use a cheap Behringer mixer into a computer to record?

I've heard of something like this, but just want to know if I have more options.

Our drummer is getting a 7 piece drum set, which, on our current machine, we couldn't even get all the pieces in on a run-through.

Ie.

[​IMG]

Is it possible to use a 16 track mixer into a computer with some software and record all of the tracks at the same time?

2. janek65

janek65

Apr 7, 2005
    Netherlands
    i'd look into a modest workstation. You'll save yourself dragging around vulnerable computer stuff, it's more flexible, of higher quality than modest PC-based solutions, smaller and lighter.
    Most of these machines can record 8 tracks simultaneously.
    For practice (but also drums for demo's) recordings, our band use a yamaha (aw16) but there are lots of other recorders like this.
    Hope this helps.

3. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    you can definitely use a mixer like that but for best results you will want your tracks actually seperated at the computer instead of recording 16 tracks to a single stereo file on the computer.

the workstation like janek65 said is a great option.

4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    You can also use the mixer to submix things like the drum mics to a stereo pair. Depending on how many busses you have you might be able to make multiple submixes using the same mixer, sending them to tracks on the Fostex. I recommend something that lets you record at least 8 tracks at a time, that gives you 2 stereo submixes and 4 mono tracks, as an example.

A few comments: Find a better mixer (or rent something better), and have a plan for how many total inputs your band needs, and what you want to do at mixdown. Even if you don't want to overdub you will still get a better result by having separate tracks at mixdown time. To be blunt, if you are asking these questions there is no way that you are going to get a satisfactory stereo mix in real time.

And last, get a snake so you can get the mixing location away from the band. Your mixes will be much more accurate as a result.

5. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I'm looking at the Presonus Firepod for that sort of thing. You'll need a mixer for the drums though.

6. Couldn't you use the firepod without a mixer for drums and just use the mouse?

7. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    ?

The firepod has 8 inputs. The OP wants to record without overdubbing and appears to want to mic each drum of a seven piece kit separately. A mixer would let them reduce the number of inputs on the firepod taken up by drums.

There's a number of other options, but I'm far from being an expert on this. :)

8. Dell Laptop and a Mackie Onyx w/firewire.
    I got mine one year ago and am very satisfied.
    With the onyx board you get the mixer and firewire port.
    Just look in to them at Mackie.com and read their forms.
    Oh, the onlys comes with Traction 2, $150 value I like it alot.

9. 9even_X

9even_X

Feb 25, 2006
    Rainbow City, AL
    get an emu 0404 soundcard- it come with all the required software

10. sorry I misunderstood, I thought he was just trying to record the drums to seperate tracks.

11. Rooney

Rooney

Jan 5, 2006
    Kenton, Oh
    I am also looking into the same type of thing the OP is. I'm just a lurker most fo the time, but the forum is giving me a message telling me to post. So to add to his question........What kind of additional hardware,besides the board they posted, would you need to record 12 or more tracks at once and still have return lines open for headphones and or monitors.

12. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I don't think there can be a good answer to this until we know if the original poster wants to record to 4 tracks on the rig he has, or to a lot more separate tracks. A 12 channel 2 buss board will let you mix some tracks to one pair, and the rest to another pair. So say drums on 6 channels to bus 1 and the rest of the band on the remaining 6 to bus 2.

But the calculation remains the same: how many inputs at once, and how many recorded tracks live? So if you have 20 inputs and an 4-tracks at once recorder you have to get those 20 inputs down to 4 tracks in some combination of mono or stereo busses. You can do that with several separate submixers into one main mixer with 2 busses... or a drum submix to 2 channels and the rest of the band submixed to the other two. Your capabilities for remix are prettty slim, so that is why I suggested getting the best monitoring position so that you get the best results the first time around.