starting a band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by slapcracklepop, Sep 11, 2005.

1. slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I know we have alot of knowledgable and experienced TB members, so I seek your wisdom.

I'm starting a Rock band with my friends. We have a vocalist, 2 guitarists, a drummer, and myself on 'lead' bass :D . Anway a few questions

1. Do you have any overall advice or tips for the band?
    2. What's a resonable wattage for an Cab/Head setup for small gigs?
    3. For the vocalist - what kind of wattage are we talking for his speaker system?

plus anything else you wanna add. thanks bros
  2. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Originals or covers, both? I'll assume cover for now.

Singer should have final say on what tunes you do. His voice, his choice.
    If you bother with rehearsals, stick to them. If someone gets lazy, replace them.
    No guests/girl-boyfriends/hanger-ons/wannabes allowed at rehearsals.
    You don't need anything heavy duty, you will be using a DI/Mic to the PA, right?
    Moreso the PA requirements.

I'm sure others with either correct me, or add on obvious things I left out. :)

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    3. A small 4 channel powered mixer will do fine, even for medium gigs. Unlike bass, vocals don't require a huge amount of power. 80W to 100W will be more than enough.
  4. slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    "No guests/girl-boyfriends/hanger-ons/wannabes allowed at rehearsals."

heh story behind this? just curious as to why it matters
  5. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

with a "No guests/girl-boyfriends/hanger-ons/wannabes allowed at rehearsals." Policy.

If you need a "get nothing accplished and wish to risk opinions from the uninvolved breaking up the band" then schedule a "guests/girl-boyfriends/hanger-ons/wannabes allowed at rehearsals." night.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.
  6. slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, I figured that was it. It makes sense, maybe i just want my friend's approval of how we're playing and their input. Maybe a little mini show for them would be better. thanks
  7. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat

Thanks for clearing that up, Wes.
  8. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005

i concur, if we felt like we were going to get nothing done then we started inviting gfs and such. but there's this one guy who just hangs around cause he's friends with basically everyone but me, gives his opinion (usually solicited though) but comes to the gigs in our cars, doesn't chip in for gas, hardly moves anything, doesn't want to read the map when he's the only other one in the car.

long story short, don't start bad habits.
  9. slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, I have a friend in mind that can help with all of that stuff. He's not the best guitarist so we couldnt have him play for us but hes enthusiastic about the whole band and we can still keep him around for that kinda stuff