Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

starting a band????

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Justin V, Sep 13, 2001.

1. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I've spent the last two months cassually looking for other people to start a band with. The only problem is that there are almost no drummers in town. Every band I know locally shares the same two guys (one of whom is an egotistical a-hole I can't stand to be around, though he is an awesome drummer). To add to that, I can't find any guitarists who have even remotely similar musical taste to me other than my best friend (who goes to school in another freakin' county :mad: ).

I swear, every single person I know has spent way too much time watching MTV. All of a sudden half the guys I know worship Slipknot, whom I think are just flat out lame.

An example of these people's general idiocy came from a guy who I thought was pretty smart when it came to music (he's a die-hard TOOL fan). He said that punk was "happy" music (apparently he thinks Blink 182 and Sum 41 are hardcore punk :rolleyes: )during a discussion about Nirvana. I had mentioned the punk influence in grunge...blah...blah...blah.

I started to explain to him that almost all punk was played in the minor scale and to cite examples like The Sex Pistols, AFI, early Offspring, but I figured he wouldn't understand.

Sorry about the rant, but I'm kinda streesed out. Please help....:confused: :( :confused:

2. jvasquez18

jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    What kind of music are you interested in playing? and where do you live?

3. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I'm interested in playing grunge, "real" metal (ala Metallica and Megadeth), or something like DMB and Phish. I live in the suburbs of Oakland. I'm surrounded by spoiled brats who complain if the car they have isn't brand new. :rolleyes:

4. You won't find heaps of people wanting to play grunge or traditional metal because it's been done 15 years earlier. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it, I'm a fan of Metallica and other such bands, plus I have every Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden CD available:D
    Actually, it's a shame you live where you do because I know the perfect guitarist who shares your thoughts exactly, and is a great player.
    But Australia is a fair way to go to find a guitarist:D
    Anyway, good luck with finding bandmates.

5. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    thanx:)

6. If you could combine DMB with Megadeth that'd be really cool. Maybe instead of a lead guitar you can just get a fiddle player?

7. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    i live in maryland, and i flove grunge music, and lots of punk, and some old metallica, and the band soulfly, but i guess drummers are scarce everywhere, i can't find anyone.

8. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    That would rule!

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    "The spaaaace betweeeen my darkest hour GAAAR!!!"

I smell top 40! :D

10. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    That does sound kinda fun...hmmmmm....:D

11. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    I feel your pain little brother. And if you think it gets any easier when you get into your thirties, check my signature.

I've only been playing for a couple of years, so I'm not well established, and I'm not quitting my day job. But a drummer has been my problem too. We've auditioned 5 in the past 3 months, and the best we've found is a guy who has the chops but can't keep time.:( I think we've just about come to the conclusion that we're going to keep this guy, and try to convince him he needs to practice with a metronome.

Sorry I can't help ya. Just wanted you to know that you're not alone.

Dave

12. You wanna be in my band? Im just a little ways south of you (Orange County). What, me on bass? No, I play triangle...thats punk rock.

Did i write this in another thread or am I thinking of another forum?

13. Stick an AD in the local paper, and go look in all the music stores near you, also keep your ear up for local late night radio shows, and fan publications.

Get yourself to gigs, and check out if you can't catch someone who fits the bill. They all hang around in the same places.

I dunno how old you are, but I'm guessing your kinda young... I'm 19, and I play with a guy who's 46, it's wicked I go out and get hammered, he goes home to his wife and kids. We get invited round for jams and BBQ's Heheh. So don't be scared of older people.