1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Starting a band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by shatterd, Mar 15, 2008.

1. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    I live in an obscure town, although I'm about 35 miles north of Myrtle Beach, SC.

I have been playing guitar for almost 2 years. I'm 40 now and recently switched to bass.

I am a beginner but quickly advancing to intermediate.

I want to start a band.

I'm looking for musicians similar to me, that are ready to start jamming and getting into their first band.

I'd like to find some folks ready to start jamming, rehearsing, learning and writing songs, and at some point doing gigs later.

How should I go about finding a small group on my level?

I'd like to locate a drummer, guitar player, vocalist, and key player.

I'm currently taking bass lessons and practicing 2 hours or more per day.

All advice appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

2. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    craigslist is a place to start, go to your local music shop and put up flyers, or just hang around and talk to people.

basically just ask around. your be surprised who plays, you probably know a full band and just dont realize it. let it be known that you play, and youl probably attract people too

3. Jim Powers

Jim Powers

Mar 19, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    I agree with Mark, you've got to talk it up and you'll be surprized how many people around you play or have played and need to be drawn back into it, especially at work where you know people. (I'm an example; I told my new boss guitarist I played bass in high school and he ultimately bought a P-Bass and Ampeg combo on eBay and insisted I come over and play! We hooked up with others in the company based on talking about it). I've found Craigslist to be hit or miss on the types of people that respond, unlike the face to face conversation, but its another tool and going to auditions helps drive your learning and confidence.

4. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    Great advice!!

5. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Start making the rounds of the open mic's. Bass players are always welcome. Sometimes too welcome, you'll be lucky to get off stage for a drink. Everyone wants to play with a bassist. It is the perfect forum to meet players, play with a lot of them, and develop a reputation quickly. It is also a good way for you to audition the players you want playing with you.