1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Starting a band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by soadert, Sep 7, 2008.

1. soadert

soadert

Sep 6, 2008
    I'm thinking of starting a band with the following:
    Bass
    Singer/optional second bass
    Drummer
    Do you think this is a good idea, if so please comment.
    :bassist:

2. kebbs

kebbs Modus vivendi

Aug 30, 2005
    Ottawa, Canada
    Are you doing this because you don't like guitarists ? :)

3. why stop at two bass players?

4. soadert

soadert

Sep 6, 2008
    I'm doing this because I want to see what its like without guitar players.

5. Gotta get some mids in there somewhere...perhaps some keys? Medeski Martin and Wood get their groove on without a guitarist, though they often have a guest guitarist such as Scofeild or Anastasio. I dont miss the guitar at all on any of their stuff.

6. Goatman

Goatman

Aug 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    There's a band from chicago called Bear Claw that has that lineup, though they might not be your style.

Nothing wrong with the idea at all, I think, but you'll want to vary the tones. After all, acoustic guitarists have been doing duets for hundreds of years. the possibilities are endless.

7. stingray5dude

stingray5dude

Jun 18, 2007
    i think experimentation is great, though in my opinion 2 bass players will never be able to create the range and colours of sounds that one guitarist and one bass player can

8. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    would sound boring, but you don't need a guitarest to sound interesting, just get somthing else instead, like horns or keys.

9. Rudreax

Rudreax

Jun 14, 2008
    New York, NY
    It can work, but you're going to have to make a bit of a niche for yourself.

10. crow01

crow01

Sep 1, 2008
    chicago
    It could work if the 2 bassist are not trying to outdo themselves every time.

One could do harmonic and the other solo, and take turns.

It works in jazz.

11. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Are you in it for just fun or do you want to make some cash too? If you're looking for money, this thing is going to tank. If you throw in some kind of melody instrument you'd probably be more successful with the masses.