1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Starting a charity

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Waffles and Scotch, Jan 3, 2012.

1. I have a friend that's interested in starting a charity. The original plan was to set up shows where bands will play for free, then donate the money to a charity overseas. However, I advised it would be a better idea to start locally (donations to shelters, Habitat for Humanity, Metropolitan Ministries, Susan G. Komen, Moffit, etc), then once this person has made some contacts and has established the charity as reputible, look overseas. I was going to send them the links I found in a thread here on TB discussing the gentlemen that ripped off some TB members, however I can't find that thread, and in searching the forums on this topic I can't find any links to articles discussing fees, taxes, laws, etc. Can anyone get me pointed in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Search "BigMikeW," or "Mike Winnen."

3. Thank you sir! BTW - if either of those basses in your avatar need a new home, please let me know. :)

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    May sell the fretted one day to finance a similar one with tighter spacings, but probably won't put it up for sale until the economy picks up enough to where I can get more than $42 and a box of Ritz crackers for it :D

5. PM me if you'd consider $48 and 3 large boxes of Mike and Ike's. I'll also toss in a vintage Milli Vanilli cassette if you pick up shipping... :D

6. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Call it personal bias, but I also recommend dealing with hometown charities instead of sending money overseas.

7. I share the same bias, skwee. Wish I had more influence, but it's a person I don't know very well that asked if I knew anything about charities, and I said I'd try to dig up some info... :)