Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Starting a church band...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by SundanceChile, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So heres the deal. Having lunch with my mother today and she notifies me that the church she goes to has no band what so ever(She's a devout catholic, I've converted to Buddhisim). So she throws the idea my way. The priest is in need of someone to lead/assemble a church band to play at sunday mass, and no one's stepping up. So I figured, what the heck. Currently I'm a college student, aiming for a degree in Musical Preformance, so I figure this will be a great expierience for me. I've been studying music theory for 10 years, playing bass for 4, and I figure, despite the enviroment, music is music. It would be totally awesome if I could manage something with a lot more "emphasis"(think Sister Act). A lot more R&B/Soul/Blues feel to it, the people attending the church right now don't even sing on their own at the mass(which I found akward). So I left the priest a message(my old religon teacher akwardly enough), and I'm hoping to get this project off the ground. Any advice from church goers/bassists as what to play/how to pull this off in the best "religous" manner possible?

2. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Honestly? Don't.

If the priest is worth his salt, he'll turn you down. No offense, but what business do you have exploiting an opening in the church for your own musical gains?

The music is there to serve the worship service, not the other way around.

Surely you'd be insulted if some Christian tried to lead a Buddhist worship session. Please don't insult those in the church by treating this like a gig... especially one that by your own admission you have to act "religious" about?

I do hope you're not insulted, but my advice is to forget it.

3. Actually I'd be quite open to the idea of someone else leading a session of meditation. Just because I'm Buddhist doesn't mean I don't believe in God. I have no intentions of insulting anyone, and regarding my beliefs, I just think there's more then one way to skin a cat. Music is indeed music, and maybe if the priest would let me attempt this, it would be another step towards breaking down barriers between religons. All is yet to be seen.

4. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    If I were presented with an opportunity to serve (musically or non-musically) in a worship service of another faith, I would not pursue it.
    BTW, did you inform the priest that you are Buddhist?

5. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Buddism is a philosophy, correct? Does budda believe christ is his savior? Do you believe christ is your savior & died for your sins?

You really wouldn't be suitable to lead but you could be a band member.

I was talking about this type of issue w/a worship leader last week. If you don't believe in god or are still on the fence, playing in a worship band could be the only way you're going to get the message.
    You really should be worshipping god to lead a congregation.

Hopefully someone won't turn this into a nasty religious disagreement & we can discuss rationally the issues you've addressed.

6. Yes, he is my old religon teacher(4 years of private catholic school). We've had many discussions on this and he understands my point of view on it as I understand his.

Technically yes.

Not to my knowledge.

I would hope that I could focus on leading the band and let the priest handle the congregation.:smug:

Buddhisim is a very "open" system of beliefs, in that you could be Catholic-Buddhist, Wiccan-Buddhist, etc. etc. While Buddhisim accepts this, not all other religons do.

Getting off the topic of religon, bare facts are, the priest who I go back with has to talk with the other reciding priest regarding the situation, and if this does all pan out, I would love some advice on how to get things in order, and perhaps even an upbeat set list that I could go over.

Agreed.

7. Blues Cat

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    If you are really leading, you will be expected to handle the congregation ie lead them in prayer. If something goes wrong technically in the service you might have to say what's in your heart & pray for us on the spot. Yes me.

There's not one leader I've worked w/where they just play w/out leading prayer. I've heard in my monitor things like, the FOH in a real calm voice saying to the leader, "Brian, Dr Youngs mic is not working. I need you to stall". He lead the congregation in prayer @ that point. Would you be comfortable in that situation?

I've tried to raise questions to ask yourself. I'm not saying in any way that you aren't capable spiritually or talent wise to do it.

Since you will be leading, people will come up to you spontaneously & ask for prayer. People in the office will share their testimony w/you & say god is great because of this & that. If you respond as a leader that you're a buddist, it could create some interesting yet awkward siuations.

8. You bring up very good points. I have no problem leading people in prayer, but I wouldn't exactly want to be taking the priest's job over without his permission. And like most Christians/Cathloics, not all our opinions are the same to begin with. Maybe we should have the mods move this thread over to the OT forum at this point...

9. Blues Cat

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    I don't think they need to move it. You will be managing the singers & band & their little tiffs, usually the singers.
    You will be performing.

10. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Wait, you have no problem leading others in prayer to a God that you don't believe in?

11. Read what i've written before. I don't want this thread to become locked.

12. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    I hate this. You want to ask advice about starting a church band, but yet we can't talk about the CHURCH aspect of it?

It comes down to this. A church band is really a tool for leading the congregation in praise and worship. It is difficult, and quite near impossible, to lead others in praise and worship without knowing yourself some sense of what it is to praise and worship. Thus, if you don't believe in the same God that you're trying to lead others in the worship of, it will fail.

You will be bound into one of two camps - either pretend to BE a Christian, and wait for the inevitable day when you are found out; or be honest and open about your faith, at which point you should be asked to step down.

Don't get me wrong. I have no issue with your religion. I have great respect for anyone who seeks and finds an answer. But part of that respect is that I would NEVER try to belittle your worship into a "gig". I just don't understand why your music scene is so dry that you feel you have to branch out into church music when you don't believe in the fundamental beliefs of that church.

Sorry if this does get locked... but to try to treat church music equally with bar music is ludicris.

13. I'm not even going to go there. That was totally uncalled for dude. I would have asked to take this to PM, but I really don't need this. Mods, feel free to lock this up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.