1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Starting a Jazz group?????

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by skatevu, Nov 12, 2010.

1. skatevu

skatevu

Apr 3, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    So i'm trying to get a jazz group together, be it a trio or quartet.... And i have absolutley no idea where to start. Personaly, i play the classical DB for 3 years and just starting to get into some jazz stuff, and i play the guitar in all styles. I know a clarinet/ sax player who could probably work with me, a couple guitarists and a bunch of pianists of decent skill level, though none have any expierence in jazz. Just wanted to know if anyone knew where i could start in terms sheet music (if any) needed skills or just something i could play around with and figure out how to make it work. I'd be happy for any advice, resources or constructive critisism ( i know how some of you can be). So thanks anyway :)

2. powerbass

powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    Getting in to some "jazz stuff" without a teacher or previous experience with musicians with no experience with jazz is like trying to learn a language without knowing what it sounds like, what the words mean or what the culture of the language is like. First of all it would be helpful to hook up with someone who does have experience with jazz preferably a piano player or guitarist who can help you out with chord structure, rhythm/feel and theory. You could pick up a Real/Fake Book and start listening to jazz, pick a few tunes you want to learn and practice those. Learn the melodies and try soloing over the changes. When you can do some of this stuff while keeping time with a metronome then print out a few charts and give them to the other musicians, help them learn the tunes with you. Keep it simple 3-6 tunes. Check out youtube there are thousands of vids of people playing jazz.

3. Sounds like you want to get three or four non-jazz players to form a jazz group--kind of like what kids do in their garages with rock. I've never heard of jazz being learned that way, but I'd be interested in hearing how that works out for you.

4. skatevu

skatevu

Apr 3, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    thanks powerbass, ive looked at some of the real books but ill be sure to pick one up this time. I know a little about chords and improv because i played the guitar in my 8th grade jazz band last year. I would get a teacher but right now im taking lessons from the principle bassist in the nc symphony, so i doubt that hes too fond of jazz haha

5. powerbass

powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    I think one of the best jazz learning situations for a DB is playing with a good pianist. Locking in your intonation and walking skills with a piano is ideal

6. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    To begin, download a copy of this & give it a once over;
    http://www.jazzbooks.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=FQBK&Store_Code=JAJAZZ

Is there a Music School nearby that welcomes adults & offers Jazz Ensemble lessons? You already play the instrument & need to become familiar with the song forms, chord voicing & common practice. Expect playing rhythm & soloing to be different activities that need thoughtful approach & practice routines. Practicing with an Ensemble will give you valuable experience & introduce you to others who play at your current ability, right now. You are playing URB. Time & demand for URB will lead you to more advanced players & the challenge will lift up your ability. Good luck :cool: