1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Starting a Modulus collection.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by James Hill, May 13, 2006.

1. Just got a Flea model yesterday and I extremely happy with it! I had purchased a VJ a couple of months ago and liked it so much that I ended up selling both my Stingray and Sterling basses. After reading on many forums I got to thinking maybe I should try another all wood bass. I then purchased a Skyline Glaub which was another great sounding bass as were the EBMMs but to my ears weren't nearly as good as the VJ. Long story short, I traded the Glaub in on the Flea with Aguilar preamp and couldn't be happier. Now I know why so many posts here give the advice of try as many basses as you can and let your own ears and hands be the judge. I've read many posts where Modulus were described as sterile sounding, lacking low end, etc. For me they are simply the best. Now I just have to save up for a Genesis 5 and Q5 to round out my Modulus collection. I'll stop rambling now and just share a pic.

Fb9.

2. simongpaez

simongpaez Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    Good call man I love Modulus also

That GREEN is a killer

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Very nice. Modulus makes great basses--I have owned Quantum basses since around '00. GAS has caused me to move on, but there will always be a soft spot with me for Modulus Quantum basses.

Hey, I happen to know where there is a Q6 for sale.;) :D

4. I don't know if I can get the funds together this soon after the Flea but I will keep an eye on the thread. If I can find a way to get that I would be down to a Genesis 5 to collect the set. That quilt top is amazing!

5. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Thats a pretty expensive hobby... collecting Modulus basses..

6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Quilt top? You mean like this?

Attached Files:

7. Actually it's not nearly as expensive as some of my past hobbies and vices.

8. Yet another great quilt.

9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    That VJ is killer! I've yet to really put one through the paces, but I've yet to find one as attractive as that one, also! Nice collection!
    BTW - just noticed you were from Florence. Two of my best friends' girlfriends (they're dating sisters) are from Florence. One lives in Mobile now, the other is Tupelo. Small world.

10. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I really liked the Flea and Q5 I used to have. If it wasn't for the 35" scale and tight string spacing of the Q5, I'd still have it.

Whine... I've now started putting enough hours into practicing that I really don't care about string spacing anymore. Scale length is still a bugger though. Gotta check out another Flea at some point.

What kind of pickup on yours?

11. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Aahhhh yeah! Nice hobby!

12. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I owned a VJ which I loved!! The only reason I sold it was to get a... Vintage Jazz Bass. I own a quantum fretless 6 and a Genesis 5 which has slowly became my main bass. These basses are often overlooked and arent hyped. Great value if you can find one used

13. turnuptheBASS

turnuptheBASS

Jan 30, 2005
    So. CA.
    Sweet basses. Love that white flea! Its #2 on my G.A.S. list. enjoy your basses!:bassist:

14. floridadave

floridadave

Feb 18, 2006
    I got a Q5 with Barts and an Aggie Pre about a month ago and love it. It's weird how when I start to dig in and work it the tone gets way more aggressive but the volume doesn't seem to go up. It's almost like it has a built in limiter. It's a good way not to overdrive the speakers when the night gets long..and louder...

I may have to trade in my new Ric for another...anyone interested?;)

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Now that is just so good it's silly!

16. nobes

nobes

Feb 14, 2006
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Sweet basses.
    I can't wait, my Flea bass should be here any day now.

17. To answer the question above, my Flea has the Bartolini pickup.

18. seansbrew

seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I love my Q5, it is the best bass I have ever purchased. It is the standard to which I judge my basses. I didnt mean for it to be that way, but that's what has happened. The even tone, and volume of each note is butter. Alot of basses have passed in and out of my door. Lakland 55-94, Kinal, G.Gould, Stingray, even a Roscoe. I love the tone of these basses. I don't know if I want a collection, but I can see where you are coming from. Here is a pic, walnut top w/Barts.
    [​IMG]

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very nice, I'm still itching for a black Flea 5 but don't tell anyone.

20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

That green one is pretty cool , enjoy ! :bassist: