1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Starting a new band...something new for me

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by javi_bassist, Jul 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hello guys!

Ok, after being in four bands that failed, I'm "starting" a new one. A little bit of background: I've been with the same two guys (guitarist and drummer) in the four bands (I had other projects on my own, but I've always had a project with them). The thing is that we are really close and good friends. The drummer is awesome and I wanted to form this new band with him and to look for more people. But I didn't really want the guitarist in the band. After talking to the drummer, he finally convinced me to talk with the guitarist. So we talked with him about the project. We wanted to take it seriously and we wanted to work hard. He said that he couldn't promise to be 100% focused, so we should look for someone else.

So we did. After a while, I started to make audictions for more guitarist. So one day he called me and said that he would be interested in joining the band. I told him about the audictions and again about the project. I told him several times because we have already had many problems because he didn't learn the solos nor the songs sometimes and we had to refresh all the songs which was a waste of time. He promised me he will work hard.

He is a really good friend and a really good guitarist. I finally gave him the chance to join. However, the drummer and I spoke and if he starts doing the same, we will ask him to quit the band. Am I crazy for giving him the chance again? So far, no problems. He learns all the songs for the audictions and works hard. But I still have this feeling that, at some point, we will have an argument. I hope I'm wrong this time.

On the other hand, yesterday a girl came to try to join. We really liked her. She sings really well and she plays the guitar, so perfect. And she is cool to hang out with. However, the guuitarist says that her voice didn't really have the magic, or the spark. I agree with him, but the drummer and I liked her. It might be that he is really used to being with male singers that he finds odd to be with a girl. I don't know. We agreed on playing some more days with her. But we will try some more people in meantime. Although, I feel kinda weird for that. Like we are with her until we find someone better you know? Like not being honest. I don't know. I never had this kind of problems because I have always joined bands, not create one. What do you guys think?

2. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    The two parts I bolded seem a bit at odds with one another.

I think you need to decide what it is that you want and who's opinion you value most.

Is it better to wait around for someone with the magic spark while spinning your wheels getting nowhere?
    Or is it better to get something cohesive up and running with what you've got and seeing if you can make it work?

javi_bassist likes this.
  3. sm49341

sm49341

May 12, 2013
    Michigan
    I dont know. Four bands failed with the same two guys plus you. Youre starting a new band with 75% the same people. I hate to sound pessimistic but this "really good" guitarist that "doesnt learn solos nor the songs" doesnt sound really good to me. Ive yet to see a musician with issues change for the long term.
    As for girl singer, audition more people, if you have more candidates. You can always say yes later, unless youre afraid of losing her to another band.
    Hope it all works out for your band tho.

Munjibunga likes this.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If the guitarist doesn't work out, you can always send him to the Audiction Network.

TWolf likes this.
  5. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Why did the first four bands fail. Was it the guitarist? I know it's tough because he's a friend, but maybe you should try something different.

As for the female singer, work with one more time and decide whether she's in or out. Don't string her along.

6. iTzPrime

iTzPrime

May 30, 2016
    Take the girl and dump the guitarist. Hardly any singer had that "spark" especially at the beginning of their career - and there are enough singers who sold millions and never had it.

One thing I learned is that people never change. You guitarist now has the pressure, but as soon as you will give him some space, he will slack off again. Chances are high that because of negative tensions of him towards the girl, she doesn't join your band and you have to restart, with a lot of energy wasted.

Starting with 50% from a previous band is risky, starting with 75% from the old band with a guitarist that had problem, is nearly band suicidal.

s0c9 likes this.
  7. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

Dec 31, 2011
    Brooklyn
    I think you know you need to ask the guitar player to leave.