Starting a new business - need advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    My wife and I are starting a home business making and selling soy candles. They are organic, clean burning and exotically scented. . This will be her primary employment while I toil in the corporate world. I was looking for advice on e-commerce, web sites, and home business development.
  2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Many companies help facilitate the ecommerce/website side of things. is a popular company that helps with this and seems to cater to the novice. You can register a domain name many places. will do the trick.

Talk to your tax man. If he isn't too familiar with small business tax law, etc, find a new one that is. You need to work the system and all of its deductions to your advantage.

There's a good computer program called Business Plan Pro (I think that's the name). Excellent program. A business plan is an absolute necessity to help you evaluate the viability of your idea. It is also required to sell your idea to any potential investors. This program is more of a fill in the blank format and asks you for all the pertinent info.

Good luck!