Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Starting a new project: Shape design phase

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ArtisFallen, May 26, 2005.

1. Option number #1

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Option number #2

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Option number #3

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Option number #4

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. EUB (not shown)

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  1. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    So i'm planning on building myself a new bass, and i've got a few ideas for the design. I decided to put it up for a vote, because frankly, i like them all, or i wouldn't have drawn them.

think in both terms of genearl body style and patters. i can probably switch them around as well.

[​IMG]

And this is the EUB

[​IMG]

I also would like suggestions as to what exactly i should build. meaning string number and if i should have frets. i'm leaning twoards a fretless five, but i'm open for suggestions :D

2. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Too pointy for me. Out of those, though, I like the first one the most. The last one is ok aswell, but a bit stubby. This is something I made for drawing bass designs to scale so that there is no editing to the original design later on.

3. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    i'd use something like that, but i never draw my scketches to scale. i free hand everything just to get ideas in my head. when i make a final decision, i draw it out to scale.

and I like my pointy :p

4. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    What scale would that be for?

5. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    34". From top to bottom, the lines are: Nut, 12th Fret, 24th Fret, end of FB, and bridge. Each square is 2"^2. The FB end line is obviously just for visualization purposes. I always just draw a line from nut to FB end with a pencil since all of the drawing programs I own (paint... :bag: ) make the line horribly pixelated.

6. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Pointy is good as long as it is in the name of class. Alembic, for example, can pull off some pretty pointy basses and still be classy. With a little reworking the bottom horn of the 3rd one, I can see the bass being amazingly cool. That lower bout just don't do it for my, though. :cool:

7. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I guess I'm the only one who likes the EUB, but I'm probably also one of the few who's seen the design. Oh well.

I'm ordering the wood for my own EUB now, so hopefully I'll be working on that soon.

-Nate

8. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    i'll post that pic up i guess. it's a little confusing if you don't actually see the design.

9. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Yeah, definately get us a pic of that upright :D.

10. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    Ok here's the EUB.

[​IMG]

11. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    I was trying to take my own vision of the perfect carl thompson bass and make it into something new.

I'm open for suggestions. what would you do to fix that lower horn?

12. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    ooooo... I really like that EUB. Simple and easy on the eyes. For the lower bout of the electric I would just take the lower point out of the horn and shorten it a bit. I might also round it some to make it more in line with what the upper horn looks like, but since you like your points ;).

13. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    I tend to like my points not so much because they're easy on the eyes as much as they catch the eye. I've been running this poll outside TB as well, and as you can see from the tally marks, the one that catches people's eye the most is number two ironically.

I'd be lying to you if i said it was my alltime favorite design, but my main goal in the design process is to make something that people pay attention to. I've gotten so sick of seen P-basses J-basses, stratocasters and les-pauls, and i'd hate to think the world has gotten to thinking that they guitars cant be built any other way

If you're on a gig, and you pull out something like a parker fly or a Carl Thompson, people go "Woah! that's something i've never seen before, does it work just like those other things most people play?" Then, when you blow the opening band's bassist's SG knock-off Epiphone out of the water, people's jaws drop. I love that.

14. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Amen brother. Pointy isn't my thing, but more power to ya.

I'm also a firm believer that even if you're using someone else's design, make it your own. If I want a Fender I'll buy one for $400 (and not a penny more), though I've ranted against them for far too long to be caught owning one all of a sudden. Besides, my Peavey T-40 is the be all and end all of production basses. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

-Nate

15. As far as # of strings, frets, or scale, for me I think it would depend on what instruments I already have. Build one you don't have yet. If you have them all build the EUB. All the designs look good...

16. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I picked option 2 because it looks like an Alembic triple Q.

17. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    #4 for me.
    Less is more, and teh others are just too...many features!

Teh EUB looks neat, too!

18. NOISE!

NOISE!

Jun 20, 2004
    In your mind
    What about a single cut BG using the EUB's shape?

19. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    i never considered that as an option.

good call though. that might be the solution.

20. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    OR a crossover, i.e. can be used both as a BG and as a UB??!