Starting a project...suggestions?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by AuG, Sep 4, 2005.

1. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I'm taking a woodworking class at the local college here and I'm pretty new to luthiering. I've had woodworking experience before, but nothing as technical as guitar building. I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions as to wood, and also neck advice, i.e. fretting, bolt on easier than neck thru or set neck? I've got a nice thick book on the way and I think I've settled on an ash or mahogany body with a spalted maple this wise for a beginner? I've got my basic plan sketched out and I'm just waiting for a chance to go to the local hardwood supplier for boards. Any help/advice/suggestions/tips are welcome. I have just about every power tool/shop tool available at my disposable so I won't have to buy any of that stuff. Thanks in advance,

Oog :)
  2. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Melvyn Hiscock - Make your own electric Guitar
    Martin Koch's-build your guitar
    Make Your Own Electric Guitar & Bass by Raymond and Waring.

Wear respiratory protection when working on the spalted woods.

That's all I have to say about that.
  3. There are 3 tips that have been as valuable as any of the tools I have.

1. Measure once, twice, three times before you cut.
    2. Stuff that you are trying for the first time, TEST ON SCRAP!!!
    3. Even if you're confident about stuff that you do all the time, take the care of checking everything more than once and even dry clamping before spreading glue.
  4. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)
    True that dog. Every minute you spend checking and re-checking your work will be worth it.
  5. Shoot for simple but elegant in your first one. Get everything right and the rest of them will fall into place.
  6. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    one piece body, one piece neck...simple
  7. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Had my class today and stopped after gluing up my boards. I went with 2 pieces of African Mahogony and a middle board of Bubinga. Just not sure what to go for a top. I was talking to Larry (send more pics!) but I'm open to suggestions. I'll probably buy a pre fabricated neck, I know I can't make that in 15 weeks for 3 hours a week. :D

Next time I'm definitely goin with one piece body and one piece neck. There's another guy that's doing a one piece guitar and he's already got his body cut out. He's pretty funny, giving me weird looks cause I said I'm building a bass guitar. :rollno: