Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Starting a Radio Station

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fastplant, Sep 17, 2003.

1. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Has anyone ever thought about doing this? There's really no decent stations in CT right now, and we just lost another rock station to hip hop (not that I don't like hip hop). And I'm seriously thinking about starting a station up. I understand that there will be a rather large start up cost which I'm willing to shell out, FCC fees, royalties, utilities and all that. But I'm curious if anyone has any experience in starting up a station, and not a LPFM station either. Thanks!

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

If you have Millions$$$ to invest, you may make it.

Commercial radio is entirely ad driven. And Advertisers are going to want you to do well or the $$$rate you collect from them will go down. Advertisers also "have to" want to associate their product(s) with an "indie" or "artistic" styled radio station.
    In all probability, you'd need to furnish playlists and profiles of your "on-air" personalities, and supervise the programming content to "gear" it toward the consumers they want/hope you'll to attract.
    You also need to get a frequency(FCC Reules and Regs), and licensing to play recorded music, there's lots of bureacracy to wade through, as well as developing/maintaining programming to hold an audience. Let's face it, you need/want an audience. It would get dull real quick throwing operating costs out the window month after month just to play music you think the world wants to hear.

I'd love to have a radio station too. Until I think about it.

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    What station went hip-hop? When I lived in Connecticut I didn't listen a lot to commercial radio (mostly college and public radio), but when I did it was usually WPLR, and to a lesser extent WMRQ, WHCN, WCCC, WAQY, et al.

Even as uninspiring as commercial radio was back then, it seems to get worse and worse all the time.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I quit listening to terrestrial radio altogether and only listen to internet radio, e.g. Shoutcast.

5. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    P Aaron, you've got a point, I obviously haven't given this much thought, kind of just popped in my head. However, I was looking at some FCC material and came across an ad free, nonprofit license. Essentially, you'd have no advertizers and because of this, the fees are drastically lowered. But there are still ways to make money. I'll have to look into this more. But WMRQ Radio 104 is the one that went hip hop, at least today it's hip hop, who knows what it'll be tomorrow.

6. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut

This is one of the reasons I'd like to go into radio, there aren't any good stations anymore.

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Back in the early 80's I did a radio show at WWUH, even though I wasn't a UH student. I was just a volunteer from the community. Maybe you could try something like that.

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Bob Lee has a good point. There is probably a place you can broadcast at/from. Look into the local colleges, and/or High Schools. Suprisingly, alot of them do have broadcasting licenses. The frequency will probably be quite narrow. Sometimes as small as a school district area. Then you're "on the radio". Have your friends tune in, and see how you like it.

9. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah, I did college radio when I was in college, it was a blast, that's why I was thinking at least I have a little experience, and that wasn't too long ago.

10. whiteshadow

whiteshadow

Jul 3, 2001
    Ohio
    You guys (and gals too) should listen to CD101. It's a rockin alt. station out of Columbus, OH. But you can access it from their website www.cd101.com it's awesome. I'm now living in Arkansas for school, but I still keep in touch via the internet. Rock on...