Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Starting an Industrial Metal band: How To

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

this is actually just a trap...

I'm waiting for Benny Strangeman to pop his head in, then I'm gonna hit it with a shoe.

... man this is gonna be sweet...

So...

What kind of gear does it take to make an industrial metal band. Ministry, (Later) Prong, Nine Inch Nails, etc.

I'm really getting into Ministry a lot, and I hear they kick the arse live. I just bought Dark Side of the Spoon and it is afrigginmazing. But how is it done live. So much to do for a one time two piece band. I'm sure they got touring musicians, but what about gear. Aside from the standard guitar, bass, drum setup.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I have "And All That Could Have Been"; the live dvd of the tour supporting NIN's Fragile album.

The rough setup on that dvd was:

3-5 Keyboards
    1 Theremin
    Several Guitars (Trent plays guitar on the occasional song, as does the bassist)
    1 Drum set

Also, I think everybody but the drummer sang at some point.

3. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

I was watching that today, and that is about right. Only thing is add in a few synth drums onto that drum kit. He uses a sort of mix and match kit. Need a stingray and some les pauls.

4. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    synths synths synths.

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    face paint, and pinstriped suits. (john 5, anybody?)

6. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

John 5 rocks!

7. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    That's simple, don't. :p

8. Hmm Industrial........ Songs about textile mills and child labor and how you lost your job as a factory steel worker to a machine. Wait oh you mean the other industrial!

9. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Synths are expensive. Just use trashcans.

In the late 70's/early 80's Bronx, there was a DJ that made his own speakers out of leftover speaker cones and used trashcan's as the cabs. I think it's be cool if you played in a band where you built your own amps out of trashcans and refrigerators. You can even do like Neptunes does and make your own instruments out of scrap metal!

Hella awesome!

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Industrial music is about making music while not necessarily using "real" instruments. Get some trash can lids, glass bottles, and a penguin, and run them all through a ring modulator. Presto! You're an industrial rock god.

11. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Learn to sing with a sharp German accent, or just sing in German.

12. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    Manitoba
    Ahh Industrial Metal. So many people do it, so few do it right.

The last Ministry tour was great (fall 2004), nothing beats "So What" live, they have a live DVD from 1996 called "Sphinctour" definately worth checking out. None do it better than NIN, hopefully I can finally see them in the flesh this summer.

So you want to start an industrial metal band. There are two main ways to do it.

First way, play everything live, you will need a live drummer and a live keyboard/synth man, plus vox, bass, guitar. (minimum 4 people, easiest with 5-6). A variation on this is to sequence the synth parts (you can have more voices running simultaneously), but the downside is the live drummer MUST be spot on, (perfect timming, memorization of changes and play flawlessly to a click track)

Second way, sequence the drums and sequence the synth. This method is the easiest to do, as you can cut out 2 members, and have perfect timing on all synth and drum parts. If you go this route be sure to have an entertaining visual experience for the audience.

Gear. you can never go wrong with 2 good quality keyboards/synths. We use a yamaha cs6 and an access virus C. Each does something different and what they do they do well. For drums we use an mpc 2000xl but any good sequencer will do, replace with a good drummer.

As with most bands mix it up, the addition of live synth really opens things up. One word of advice, don't overload your songs with synth tracks. More isn't always better and its easy to end up with 4 minutes of noisy mud.

13. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    And don't idolise Trent Reznor...

14. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    does it have anything to do with heavy machinery? i know a few good millwrights...

15. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Rather, idolize Skinny Puppy and Rorschach Test. :-D

16. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I was thinking more along the lines of Ratzinger, Schneider and Hutter or Meier and Samardzik, from Wumpscut, Kraftwerk and Haujobb respectively.

17. And you also gotta idolize the guy who invented the steam engine, hes industrial as hell!

18. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I rather like Kraftwerk, but I can't recall having heard the others you mentioned. I can't help but dig the **** out of the first Rorschach Test record, though.

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

JAMES WATT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

I guess the music I make is industrial... but not metal. I gotta add chugga chugga guitar over top.

(Invest in ring modulator)

20. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Ultimate song = Das Model by Kraftwerk :cool: