Starting Bass Getting an Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nerman, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Nerman

Dec 7, 2004
    Ive been looking at basses all over the place, mainly the 'beginner packs' and that sort of thing, and a lot on ebay. The main question I have is about the Amp. It seems to determine the price a lot... What sort of wattage is appropriate, do I really need a 15W amp, is 10W more than I would ever even use? What is 6 watts RMS of output? Why are there Basses with 1 Watt amps on ebay? Are the humongous watt amps for shows and stuff? I want to get this all cleared up before deciding what and where to buy, so if someone could give me some info on what all this means it would be GREATLY appreciated
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    OK...let me wade through some of these questions, and others can help chip away at it. :)

A 15W amp would be perfect for sitting in your room and practicing on your own. That is all it is good for.

The bigger rigs are for playing gigs for the most part. You don't need a 300+ watt amp if you are just going to play at home by yourself. If you decide to join a loud band, then you are going to have to have a minimum of 300 watts.

Your best bet is to go with something small while you learn and decide if bass is really for you. When you progress to the point where you want to play in a band, evaluate your gear needs based on the type of band you are in, what your goals are for that band, etc.

Be prepared to buy, sell, and trade alot of gear. As a beginner, keep your investments minimal for now. I have yet to meet a bass player who got his gear choice right the first time. :)

3. slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    What he said. And because it will probably take you a while to find gear that suits you, I would highly recommend used amps. You can keep one for a while and if it doesn't do the job, sell it on ebay for near what you paid for it. Much much cheaper than doing the same thing with new gear.

Of course you have to have some idea what you're getting, so it helps to have an experienced bassist (or at least guitarist) help you decide what used gear is worth buying. And be smart on ebay or other places ... always check feedback and ask questions before bidding. If in doubt, check here or another online forum. There is a risk to buying used, and it sucks to spend $400 on a piece of firewood (been there, ouch).
    I haven't bought anything through talkbass yet, but have had excellent experiences over on the dudepit ( ).

Good luck and enjoy your bass!