Starting bass, need help please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Warlord786, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Warlord786

Nov 22, 2003
    Alright im gonna be picking up a Bass for christmas, and ive never played anything before. So I have no clue about anything. Im just planning on picking up a Bass for 200 or less, and a really cheap amp. So I was wondering if anyone had any bass reccomendations around those price ranges. And I have no clue on what number string bass I should get. I was guessing 4 or 5, but honestly have no clue. Also since I have no clue on how to play, what would you guys reccomend to learn the best way possible? Sorry for all the questions, but thanks in advance!
  2. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    For a starter bass, get a Squier, preferably a Jazz Bass (4 string). They make a good product if you use them right.

As for an amp, get a Peavey Microbass. They have a reputation for reliability and flexibility, so you can determine when you get more experience what you want to have in your equipment.

The first thing to do after getting your equipment is to get a good, experienced teacher. If you are going to learn this instrument, you have to learn it the right way, with sheet music and theory, before you start playing with tablature just to say you can.

The best way to start is using your fingers instead of a pick. Only use a pick when you know you have learned as much as you can with fingerstyle and come to the conclusion that you do not like it.

The first musical style I recommend learning is jazz, because jazz roots are in all types of music, especially rock.

Good luck and don't get discouraged! Playing an instrument is one of the best things you can learn to do.
  3. +1, but i had to fix a few things :D
  4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Both versions are excellent advice. You may also want to look at the Yamaha RBX 170. Very solid and affordable for a entry level product.

Dan :bassist:
  5. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    my first bass was a peavey milestone IV. it served me well. it is a very fine bass and fairly cheap as well. i baught mine new for $180 and sold it three years later for $150. just a great p bass and all the other milestone basses are great as well.
  6. Squier starter pack or a small amp and an Essex Jazz bass from

I've had my Essex for about half a year now and just love it. IMO, it's a good starter bass and I'm betting that most will agree with me on it, otherwise, go with like a Squier starter pack (where's Treena?).

Yours Truly,
    Tyler Hole
  7. well if it's any help to you you can go to the thread i started about looking for my first bass over here and see what people have to say about various starter packs i've been looking at.

By the way about that peavey bass ... thats a pretty good resale value if you aks me ... :D

8. The starter packs are just that, for starters. There are three at the URL below. I reccomend any one of them.

I would strongly suggest you spend some money on an excellent instructor too. This will allow you to start with good habits and technique.

9. Do a search...there is a great deal of information on these basses, and practice amps. Just use the serach feature....please. :)