Starting bass pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FPFbass, Jan 23, 2009.

1. FPFbass

FPFbass

Jan 23, 2009
    Burlington, VT.
    I've been playing bass for about two years now. I am currently playing with an alternative/punk group. I wanna get a few pedals to add some sound to our music but I have no idea where to start. Any ideas?

2. Delay or distortion is always a good place to start. Check out some of EHX and MXR pedals and see what you like.

3. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    although it won't really won't open up new sounds; compression is a handy effect to have.

4. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    chorus, phaser, flanger

5. Compression will definitely not open up new sounds either :smug:

6. FPFbass

FPFbass

Jan 23, 2009
    Burlington, VT.
    My amp is a fender bassman 150, it has a compressor on it but I have no idea how to use it.

7. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    my bad edited post :D

8. Meh no worries although I have to argue that delay is pretty handy in making new sounds I got a Carbon Copy and it sounds amazing I can even get reverb out of it and the modulation gives me some pretty awesome sounds.

9. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    A good overdrive, and a good modulation (chorus, flanger, etc) Two essentials right there.

10. Fuzz/distortion

That's probably the most useful in alt/punk as you say your style is.

Stay away from Boss ODB-3 - cheap sounding.

Recommend:
    EH Bass Muff
    Ampeg Scrambler (if you can find one)

11. 1337p1ra73

1337p1ra73

Mar 7, 2007
    Hey, fellow Pedal-Noob! I've also been considering this for a while, but I've ultimately decided on getting the Tech21 NYC Character Series VT Bass Pedal (Long name) because I think that, rather than getting crazy effects first, I want to play with and establish some good tones. Up to you though. I would probably get a delay pedal BTW. Or maybe the multi-effect Zoom B2 or B2.1u to try out the different effects.

12. SG-Jazz

SG-Jazz

Dec 24, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Chunk Systems Octavius Squeezer, Digitech Whammy, Earthbound Audio Super Collider, or boss dd-7{you can loop,reverse,and delay in one}.
    :hyper:

13. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Get an EHX Bass Big Muff, get a Boss OC-2.

And a Q-Tron.

Cheapest route to pants-wetting bass sounds.

14. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Get: A compressor and a Boss OS-2 (overdrive distortion) Awesome pedal. I got a Pigtronix Disnortion for a deal so I went a different route, but the OS-2 has made some of the meatiest driven tones I've ever heard.

Fuzz is awesome but distortion/drive can get you a mad snarl. Depends on whether or not you want the sustainability of something like a big muff or a tone shaping unit.

Also, if you want 'effect', something like a flanger/chorus/phaser will fatten up your tone, while a Tremolo and Delay can help you get a choppy wet sound.

Tech 21 VT BASS can be used as a drive/distortion or as a preamp unit. Definitely a great tool.