Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Starting Bassist, What to Do

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by basslax, Dec 7, 2000.

1. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Hello all, I have recently started upright bass and my instructor thinks I should rent or buy so I can get some more practice. I have a few questions. Should I rent or buy? Im pretty sure ill stay with the instrument, but not sure. What features/size should I look for? Im about 5'10" and the bass at school is 3/4 size and Im used to that. So what do you think? What brands, styles would be good?? (i play in the school Jazz Band)

thanks for the help
    basslax

2. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    Good basses cost $$$$, so i recommend getting the cheapest, ****tiest one you can find for economical reasons. Unless you have over 10k you want to blow.

Get a 3/4, i've never seen a full size in my life, everyone uses 3/4. Get a viol-bass (one with sloped sholders) and not the one called a violin-bass that has the shape of a violin.

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    That's not the worst advice I.ve read in a while......no, that is the worst advice I've read in a while.

If I wanted to almost guarantee a newbie giving up in disgust, I would give him a bad playing, crappy, cheap bass.

You really need to fill your profile out. A newbie might want to know what you base your opinion on. I would be willing to bet that you have a very limited knowledge of the URB.

You mention in another thread that you've only been a member of TB 2 or 3 days and you already have over 30 posts.My advice would be to slow down and think about what you're posting. Bad advice is worse than no advice.

Pkr2

4. You don't have to spend $10K to get a bass you'll like to play and hear. "First" basses can range from $900 to $1500. "Violin" shape refers to the corners, which may be violin, gamba, or busetto in shape. The corner style has no bearing whatsoever on shoulder slope. There is no playing-related reason to specifically avoid the violin shape. Shoulder height and slope will not vary radically among starter basses.
    You have to make your own decision on whether to buy or rent. My view, which you don't have to accept, is that if you're not sure, there's no harm in renting at first. You'll need some time to find out if you're meant to be a bassist. You can't find out without spending some money. Renting seems like the least financial risk. Good luck.
    P.S.: 3/4 is pretty much the standard size.

[Edited by Don Higdon on 12-09-2000 at 09:23 PM]

5. I don't know the rental market. I thought that basslax should get enough exposure in 3 months to know whether he wanted to continue (i.e., buy)