starting double bass

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by basslax, Sep 6, 2000.

1. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    ive been playing bass guitar for a couple years now and am just starting double bass in the school band. i was just wonedering if you guys had any tips for me as a beginner.

2. rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Welcome to the DB world. I played electric for 16 years before taking up the 2xbass.

Absolutely the only way to start is with a good teacher. What you already know will help but the approach is generally different - more up and down the neck than across. Start with shorter practice sessions - there are new muscles to build. Learn to use a bow - you can't hide poor intonation while playing arco (it's easier to get by with "close" when playing pizz.) Get a good teacher. There are lots of good method books. I'm using the Progressive Repertoire method by George Vance (get it on the web at Lemur Music, a great resource). Go to, absolutely the best links page out there. Subscribe to the 2xbass list and search the archives there (see instructions on Bob Gollihur's page). Check this side of the board and the archives. I have learned a lot from the regular posters here. Study with a good teacher. Make sure your bass is set up properly (I've heard there are good luthiers in the DC area). No need to add to the guaranteed frustration of learning this beast by having a needlessly difficult to play bass.

Have fun with it. Oh, and did I mention get a good teacher?
  3. SottoVoce

Sep 16, 2000
    Hi, I'm a beginner too. Well actually, I have been playing for a few months and I'm playing in my school's concert band. I have one question: my left hand fingertips hurt a LOT after playing, and I can't play continuously for a long time (the 60 minutes of the band rehearsals) because my LH fingers hurt too much. Is this normal? If so, is there anything I can do about it?
  4. That's absolutely normal. The only thing you can do is stop playing when it begins to hurt. Over time you be able to play for longer and longer periods of time.