1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

starting fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tyburn, Jun 25, 2001.

1. i'm considering, in the future haveing a go at fretless,

what would be a good place to start at?,

i came across a review of a Carvin unlined fretless that looked like a godd beginner instrument,,

any thought?

2. snyderz

snyderz Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I would say that if you are wanting to try fretless, go for it. Many will say to start with a lined board. There is a thread right now on adding temporary lines to a board, which is an alternative. All my basses are unlined, as I prefer them over lined. Nothing wrong with the Carvin, but if you are just wanting to experiment, there are a lot less expensive basses out there. Numerous fretless basses on ebay right now under $300 and some under $200. Careful, fretless basses are addicting! :)
    Doc

3. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    I agree with Snyderz. If you want to "test the water" with fretless, don't spend a ton of money. Perhaps you could get a fretless Mexi-Fender, a used Carvin, a Samick, or an ESP or something cheap like that. If you don't have a very good sense of pitch, then you may need lines on the fingerboard. If you have a great sense of pitch, it really is not that big a deal to go unlined. I had been playing fretted bass for about 4 years when I bought my first fretless (unlined) so it was not a big transition. I hope you can have a similar experience.

Also, know in your head WHY you want to go fretless - is it because it will get you more gigs? Have you discovered Jaco and want to emulate him? Is it just to go on a shopping spree (if that's the case, you may not be satisfied with it.)?

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I've owned a Carvin. Very good instruments at a Very good price! The pickups were a little weak but thats not a problem at all. Its what the construction and the week is what counts. I've owned a Carvin LB20, which i shouldn't have traded it. But I loved the thing, but my intonation was horrible. Very good bass indeed. It was like $500. Came fresh from the factory. I loved that finish/wood smell right when you open the Carvin case. It made my room smell like that for weeks.. every time i open it.. that smell comes. Gotta love it. I would like to own another Carvin again if I have some extra cash lying around. But yeah, give them a shot! If you find a used one, even better! Their prices are pretty low if you find them used.

Good luck!
    DM