Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

starting fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tyburn, Jun 25, 2001.

1. i'm considering, in the future haveing a go at fretless,

what would be a good place to start at?,

i came across a review of a Carvin unlined fretless that looked like a godd beginner instrument,,

any thought?

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I would say that if you are wanting to try fretless, go for it. Many will say to start with a lined board. There is a thread right now on adding temporary lines to a board, which is an alternative. All my basses are unlined, as I prefer them over lined. Nothing wrong with the Carvin, but if you are just wanting to experiment, there are a lot less expensive basses out there. Numerous fretless basses on ebay right now under $300 and some under $200. Careful, fretless basses are addicting! :)
    Doc

3. I agree with Snyderz. If you want to "test the water" with fretless, don't spend a ton of money. Perhaps you could get a fretless Mexi-Fender, a used Carvin, a Samick, or an ESP or something cheap like that. If you don't have a very good sense of pitch, then you may need lines on the fingerboard. If you have a great sense of pitch, it really is not that big a deal to go unlined. I had been playing fretted bass for about 4 years when I bought my first fretless (unlined) so it was not a big transition. I hope you can have a similar experience.

Also, know in your head WHY you want to go fretless - is it because it will get you more gigs? Have you discovered Jaco and want to emulate him? Is it just to go on a shopping spree (if that's the case, you may not be satisfied with it.)?

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I've owned a Carvin. Very good instruments at a Very good price! The pickups were a little weak but thats not a problem at all. Its what the construction and the week is what counts. I've owned a Carvin LB20, which i shouldn't have traded it. But I loved the thing, but my intonation was horrible. Very good bass indeed. It was like $500. Came fresh from the factory. I loved that finish/wood smell right when you open the Carvin case. It made my room smell like that for weeks.. every time i open it.. that smell comes. Gotta love it. I would like to own another Carvin again if I have some extra cash lying around. But yeah, give them a shot! If you find a used one, even better! Their prices are pretty low if you find them used.

Good luck!
    DM