Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Starting from scratch. Completely new rig.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by popinfresh, Apr 25, 2005.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    So... After making a nice long thread just then and having the internet/tb screw up on me.
    Ok, here goes. I'm selling all my gear. Amp, cabs (all three), pedals and some non-music related stuff. Along with my b'day coming up (Jeez I love been under age :p) I hope to have around $3500-$4000. I've come up with some amps/cabs i'm interested in and in case you DON'T know allready, the sound i'm after is something for the old school vibe.
    I want big thumpy lows, nice chest hitting punch and rounded highs. It needs to be warm.. Oh so warm. I'd also like to get nice and thick and 'chewy' for reggae/funk/blues and a bit more articulate and clean for solo work and I want to be able to cut through two loud guitars/drums.
    A nice o/d is a big plus for full on fat o/d and some nice grind, as you'l see, but not a must.
    In other words, I want that main thick, thumpy, punchy, warm vibe, but a bit of versatility too. It also needs to be very loud ;). So here goes.
    Amps:
    Thunderfunk: TBF550. Nice warm punchy head. Not sure if it has the thickness i'd like. Can't o/d, but i'm sure it has the old school vibe i'm after. I could get one straight from dave for around $1700 or so with tax's etc.
    Sunn 300T: I'm trying to get a hold of a used on over here. I'm sure it'l give me the warmth and thickness i'm after. It's also got the dirty channel for the nice warm o/d i want, i'm sure I could dial it in just for a nice bit of grind as well. Probably looking at $2000 at least for a used one in good nick.

Feel free to add an amp that you think would suit me too, but realise that stuff here is expensive.

Cabinets:
    Heres the main go with cabs, I want something to hit me, something I can feel. That'l thump the lows out and can hit me in the chest with the mids.
    The three cabs i'm looking at are:
    Bergantino NV425
    Bergantino NV215
    Aguilar GS 412.
    And i'l put them in a criteria like this:
    Portability: The bergie's i suppose win this one, just for the size factor. The Aguilar might be a challenge to fit in the falcon (Does anyone else fit it on the back seat of a family car?) but the bergies should be allright. Hauling around, I don't mind for now, i'm young :)
    Volume/Sound: Which of the cabs would be the loudest with the most boot-ay to them? The aggy has a sensivity of 104 compared to the bergie's 100/101's. Is there a noticeable difference? The Aggy has a freq response of 37-16. The bergies have 41-5 (425) and 37-7 (215). Is there a noticeable difference with these numbers?
    Tone: Of course, which is going to give me the thickest, fatest, warmest tone that can cut through two guitars, be loud and yet articulate. Which one will handle o/d better (If I go Sunn/tube path)?

All the cabs will run me around the same $1700-2000 mark if I import them.

So, opinions on what would best suit me etc. Feel free to add your own, but the budget is tight/stretched as it is.
    Also, the more detail you go into with the sound of the amps/cabs the better. As I can't try the GS412 (I can try a 410), the TF or the Bergie's, let alone A/b them.

Edit: By the way, sorry for the length of it, but hopefully it covered everything and I tried to make it as organised/representable as I could for all you guys :)

2. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Hows about a Mesa Big Block 750 with a Bergantino NV610 or a Mesa Powerhouse 6x10/8x10/1000.

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I think the 300T would be perfect. I'd go with Schroeders, but I don't think they're available over there yet.

4. as far as heads go, you should definatly check out the mesa M-pulse 360 or 600. they have a very very very(almost identical) sound to the walkabout and that amp its discussed quite a bit on this forum. IMO when i played it it sounded very similar to the Fender 300T sitting next to it, and it was half the size and 1/4 the wieght, not to mention the lack of the maintenence hassles of a tube amp. its about as tubey as you can get for a hybrid, and has a huge bottom end that can be easily dialed in with just a touch of the bass knob at high volume. It doesnt however have the fastest transient respone in the world if your trying to re-eq it for a newer-syle slap vibe, and the eq has to be played with a lot to drasticaly change the sound

5. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    You can get a Fender Bassman 300 Pro for ~$1200 and that is the EXACT same amp as the 300T. fender just killed the Sunn name and merged the Sunn equipment into their line. Also, the Sunn 1200S SS/Tube Hybrid became the 1200 Pro (Think Kustom Groovebass)

I'd say go with that or a Mesa 400+ but I like how the 300T/Bassman 300 Pro looks more :)

6. toby

toby

Feb 10, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I can speak for the gs412. I have owned one for about 3 months now. It is my favorite cab I have ever heard. Im using an aguilar db359 all tube head which is only 200 watts and I never ever have volume issues with 2 guitar stacks and a very loud drummer. This cab kills all the other "tower style" cabs I demo'd. Its is super clean, and articulate and very very loud. Some people have said the mids are a bit scooped but I just bump it a little on my active bass and cut through like butter.
    Aguilar tube heads are super warm as well, if you can find a used db 359 or 728(power amp) Or even a db750(hybrid) I would say do it up.
    I tried a fender 300t and really loved that head. It was amazingly loud and like was said before, it is the same exact amp as the sunn 300t. I liked it much better than the mesa 400+ and ampeg svt classic. The mesa was just a little flat sounding to me,and ampeg is...well ampeg(mud)Some people love em, but I dont.
    I really liked the m-pulse 600 too. Though not as warm as an all tube head, its parametric eq was really versatile. You could get any sound you want. It has the abilitly to have a od channel, but its not that 'warm" of an od. Good for some little grind, but I think you would need a pedal if you wanted to really crunch it out.

7. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Im surprised no one has backed up the Mesa Big Block 750.

Tube preamp section and built in overdrive and 750 watts into 4 ohms.

8. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Try the Bassplayer in Annandale for an almost untouched ( pristine!!! ) Sunn 300T. They have it on consignment but I think last time I asked they wanted around $2700 for it.

That's about all I can help with at the moment I'm afraid.....

Actually, If you want to give Better Music here in Canberra a call, they have some floor stock Mesa cabs ( 6x10 and 2x15 at least ) that they may be able to hook you up with. That 6x10 sounds sooooooo nice.

Anyhoo, Give 'em both a call & tell 'em what you're after, they may have something you could use. Bass Centre ( I think it's called ) in Albert Park also had some great stuff in there ( some used too ) when I was there a few months ago ( all I could afford to walk out with was a new pickguard for my Stingray :crying: ).

Hope this helps.

Dan

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd go for the 300T with the 412. The 300T is very versitle and has great tone and is very warm. The Aggie 412 is loud as ****, and would go great with the head. It will play a low B (or even lower than that) easily and will sound great doing it!

10. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    If you want something you can feel, go with this. VERY tight and punchy. Knocked my fillings right out of me (my dentist loves this cabinet)

[​IMG]

11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The Mesa M-Pulse heads can OD, but it's more of a buzzy, sometimes farty OD IMHO, whereas the all tube heads have a much smoother, pleasant overdrive that only real power tubes can give you. :bassist:

12. I'd definately go for the Fender/Sunn 300T and Bergantino NV215. If you want fat warmth 215's are where its at, plus you've got 300W of tube backing you up. I'd say thats right up your alley.

13. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Well if you went the 300T I was talking about it would be $2700

I'm pretty sure You could get a Mesa 2x15 for about $1500 if memory serves.

That puts you at roughly $4200 plus shipping, You probably would be able to do better than those prices when it's time to deal too!

That sounds kinda nice....

14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    my 2 cents

forget the specs on the cabs - listen to them yourself when you have both cabs together.

the other penny? if i were you i'd think about looking at getting two smaller cabinets rather than one huge one. apart from being easier to transport, you don't have to make your automobile purchase decision based on the gear you have.

15. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Allright, thanks for the tonne of replies guys.
    I'm all for going for two smaller cabs, the only problem is the cost. If I could get a smaller cab that could do almost all my gigs for now, i'd get that and save for another.
    The only problem with some of the amps mentioned, is the price. The Big Block new (mascis, it's only 750watt at 2 ohms, just to let you know) is about $4000 and the Pulse 600 is pretty close to it. The amps don't pop up to often second hand, not to mention for under $2000.
    IvanMike - That's the problem with the cabs, i'l be importing most likely. The only Aguilar gear i've ever seen over here is a 410 and a single 112. Theres no Bergantino gear at all and no Schroeder etc. So a/b'ing is pretty much impossible. And amoungst the SWR/Eden/Ampegs etc over here, I just havn't found that fat warmth and chest hitting thump i'm after.

As long as the cab can fit into the car, I usually prefer to have one medium and one small cab, rather than one big one.. I find medium sized cabs easiest to cart around (Unless there is stairs).

Danm - Got any details for that amp at all? A number or anything etc? Cheers.

I am leaning towards the Sunn 300T/Berg NV215 sort of combo. I'm just worried about getting lost on stage with a 2x15. I'd most likely pair it with some 10's or 12's though.
    Schroeders are also on my list, although they usually get described as tight and punchy, not more the thumpy old school vibe i'm after..

16. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Trust me, Schroeders can thump. It's a tight thump, but it'll blow you away.

But while you're looking at Bergantino, if you want 10s along with 15s, how about the NV425?
    [​IMG]

17. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yeah, I was looking at the NV425.. Does it have as vintage vibe as the 215?

By the way, good but worrying news. I've got a deal on the SWR cabs and the warwick amp. $1800 for the three. Which leaves me in a state where I need to sell me Mesa cab soon and hopefully some other stuff =/.

Otherwise i'l be head less for a while..

18. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Shhh, your making me nervous :p

I figure I can scab and barter to get a Sunn 300T. Then carry around the Mesa for a while until I can get a lighter cab. Or I could just buy a Thunderfunk new from dave and not borrow any money and then have enough for maybe two smaller cabs.. Though I would lack o/d etc.. Hmm.

Anyone know how the TF would peform with any of the cabs listed? And could it give me that fat thumpy tone i'm after? Most people seem to be saying the 300T is the way..

19. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    why not 2 seperate 2x12 aggie cabs? portable, chest thumping rig. i prefer the low end bump of 12's over 15's. the 12's are more "musical" sounding and dont get lost in the mix. but this is your rig not mine. :p